Markets, Trade and Distribution System.

Discuss anticipated or desired features here
mad_genius

Markets, Trade and Distribution System.

Postby mad_genius » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:09 pm

I've been wondering what would be a good distribution system in the context of a medieval city.

Would it be better to have market squares where you can place individual shops like in emperor and zeus? or market buildings like pharaoh or caesar? Perhaps having market squares with costumized shapes in order to allow placement of wells/fountains in the middle.

Would it be possible to have the housing on top of shops. The usual debate about mixed buildings. Shops of the ground floor and housing on the upper floors.

What about trading. caesar 3 and pharaoh had a system where the traders would buy/sell goods directly at the warehouses. Other games had separate warehouses for trading (one for each trade route). What works best? Is there a different system more suited for a medieval city?

How about having a more detailed control through the advisor screen. Like having information about number of loads produced per year, number of loads consumed by population per year, specify maximum number of loads to be exported/imported per year for each trade route.

Share your thoughts.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Another typical carachteristique of medioeval towns trade are fairs and travelling merchants. I think they should be implemented in the game

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:59 pm

I think that both Emperor and Caesar IV got the "market" implementation just about right.

One would build a market plaza (Emperor) or the market (Caesar IV). In the case of Emperor, one would then place market stalls on the plaza, each of which would sell a different type of item. The small plaza only allowed one to build 3 stalls, IIRC, and the grand market plaza had space for 6 stalls. In Caesar IV the market had all the stalls and sold whatever could be gotten from the nearby granary/warehouse.

In the Emperor system, you could "double up" on an item by placing more than one stall of the same type on the market plaza if the demand for an item was higher than the rest.

Of course, the Emperor system still relied on the old "delivery" system with a market cart pusher walking down roads past housing like Caesar III's market lady.

A hybrid of the Emperor market plazas and Caesar IV's smart walker systems seems appealing to me. I get to place markets of differing size, and the vendor stalls upon them, but I don't have to have market ladies or carts wandering the streets distributing the goods.

littlegranary

Postby littlegranary » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:31 am

I am with Keith on the subject of a combination between Emperor's customizable market-plazas together with Caesar IV's intelligent market-goers.

I enjoyed the array of "dishes" on the menu in Emperor. They changed according to what kinds of food types your food stalls were selling. It really gave a sense of immersion, bringing the trappings of ancient China to life. Perhaps this idea is better implemented in medieval taverns or inns where cooked food is more commonly served as opposed to people visiting a market to eat at a stall.

Chris Beatrice

Postby Chris Beatrice » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:11 pm

The "Emperor" market system was first implemented in Zeus, I believe (my memory is a bit fuzzy...). I think the only thing changed for Emperor was the ability to have duplicate types of stall in a single market.

Anyway, for MM we are doing something similar but a bit different - there are different types of shops or "stalls", as well as a market that only deals with foods. But these don't need to be placed on a specific base like a plaza or market square or whatever, and yet, there are advantages to grouping them. As for the way foods get from shops (or is that "shoppes?"... maybe "shops" is better... I guess it depends on whether the translators charge by the word or by the character... anyway) we've done something new here which we think will be a lot of fun and work really well.

As far as having homes above shops, we're not doing that, and yes, that really pains me. It is so quintessentially Medieval to have the home/shop (like on Bob's Burgers...), and we played with this idea a lot. I really like the home/shop concept, and it's not an exaggeration to say that almost the whole CotN economic system was designed around that.

Anyway, in MM the driving force vis a vis improvement is housing evolution, not social mobility. To make this work well and keep it simple it's necessary that houses be entirely separate from other buildings.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:10 am

That's an understandable decision and from a gameplay perspective, I think it's the best.
Last edited by EmperorJay on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

mad_genius

Postby mad_genius » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:02 am

"Chris Beatrice" wrote:Anyway, for MM we are doing something similar but a bit different - there are different types of shops or "stalls", as well as a market that only deals with foods. But these don't need to be placed on a specific base like a plaza or market square or whatever, and yet, there are advantages to grouping them.

Looks interesting and challenging.

"Chris Beatrice" wrote:As far as having homes above shops, we're not doing that, and yes, that really pains me. It is so quintessentially Medieval to have the home/shop (like on Bob's Burgers...), and we played with this idea a lot. I really like the home/shop concept, and it's not an exaggeration to say that almost the whole CotN economic system was designed around that.

Anyway, in MM the driving force vis a vis improvement is housing evolution, not social mobility. To make this work well and keep it simple it's necessary that houses be entirely separate from other buildings.

How about having different shop/stall building designs. if a shop is place closer to houses it's building will have a house on top (eyecandy only). If it's placed away from the houses it will be just a normal shop building.
Something like what Stronghold 3 does with houses, changing their design as they are built closer to the lord's keep.

The house on top of a shop would just be an eyecandy workaround to provide for that medieval "aesthetics" to the city.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:23 am

"mad_genius" wrote:The house on top of a shop would just be an eyecandy workaround to provide for that medieval "aesthetics" to the city.

It would be one way of denoting that a shop has evolved to a higher level, assuming that shops will evolve that is.

Chris Beatrice

Postby Chris Beatrice » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:26 pm

"mad_genius" wrote:Looks interesting and challenging. The house on top of a shop would just be an eyecandy workaround to provide for that medieval "aesthetics" to the city.

Well... that basically is what we're doing. You can't have cool (and, for that matter, authentic) looking Medieval shops unless they're multistory, tall and thin, with cantilevered upper floors of course. So technically we DO have home shops I guess... only the "home" part is not functional. :)

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”