The drinkway to heaven

Discuss anticipated or desired features here
Alrope

The drinkway to heaven

Postby Alrope » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:41 pm

I´ve searched, but didn´t find anything about liquor production. I read something about some towns had payed the rent to their lords in beer.

What do you think?

It will be necessary more than one type of liquor, or just one generic type, like beer or wine it will be enough?

Maybe something in levels could be interesting:

1 - Cider - basic need of lower class
2 - Mead - needed for upper class.
3 - Beer - atracting alchemists and paying lords rents.
4 - Wine - atracting monks, nobles and to finish the cathedral.

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:48 am

They didn't drink water back in those days becasuse of the pollution - it was all small beer. So a brewery would be first building needed in any town.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:04 am

I agree with CC, I think beer should be a basic necessity because of historical realism but I do like the general idea of different products for different social classes!

Is the choice between beer and cider perhaps also dependent on local resources and climate?

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:33 am

A list of some medieval drinks:

Ale
Beer
Caudell - ale or wine beaten with egg yolks to produce a frothy beverage; see: Caudell or Caudell.
Cider, Cidre, or Pommé - apple cider.
Cotignac - fermented juice of medlars or quince.
Distillates
Mead
Milk
Murrey, Muré - wine from black mulberries or blackberries.
Perry, Poiré - pear juice.
Prunellé - juice of wild plums, blackthorn berries, or sloeberries
Spiced Wines - see: Clarrey; Potus Ypocras.

Water - used in cooking, but only when its purity was ensured. As a drink by itself or during eating, it was not as popular as it is today; other drinks were more readily available & desired. When water was consumed, it needed to be springwater, and from a spring that met specific regulations: the water must have a good flow & come directly from the ground or a rock, must be cold, must be free of pollution, etc. Bartholomew the Englishman in the 1200's ranked springwater from a northward flowing spring as being the best water to drink; in decreasing order came river water, lake water, & pond or swamp water. With these came the warning that water not from a spring was often poisonous and should always be boiled.

Physicians noted that water (understandably) had the humoural properties of moist and cold. The stomach, in contrast, was seen as a sort of cooking pot or internal furnace, where foods needed to gently simmer their way into healthy digestion. Water taken during a meal would extinguish this cooking procedure:

Drinking and eating at the same time may be harmful, since water
Cools the stomach, and the food is liable to remain undigested.
For the most part, water was potentially unsafe and known to be so, and alcoholic drinks (considered more readily digestible, pure, & beneficial) were usually the preferred choice of beverage.

Alrope

Postby Alrope » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:41 pm

In the order of levels I had put first the simplest process, since require just smash the apples to produce cider.
But if historicaly beer was the first choice, then it could be arranged like:

1 - Beer - basic need of lower class and paying lords rents.
2 - Mead - needed for upper class.
3 - Cider - atracting alchemists and masters of some professions maybe.
4 - Wine - atracting monks, nobles and to finish the cathedral.

I thought about masters, like a Master Brewer to increase the quality and price of the goods produced in the town.

And in places where we can´t grow and produce one or more of them we need to import them to get their bonus.

What do you think?

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”