planting trees in the countryside

Discuss anticipated or desired features here
MoiChain

planting trees in the countryside

Postby MoiChain » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:36 am

That would be cool. And save us from guessing which parts of the forest we can definitely clean or have to save ...

Let's say in the same interface part as the lumber mill, the same way we plant food in Zeus/Emperor, but anywere fertile enough on the map. Then the guy from the lumer mill goes and plant them (put same tile/state as the cut trees). So after a while, the trees are available for lumber. And so on ...

(Sorry for the poor english)

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:40 pm

I don't believe that planting trees for logging was done during the medieval period of time.

The historical role of a "forester" in medieval times was, for patrolling the woodlands on a lord or noble's property. His authority was like that of a sheriff or local law enforcement.

He would negotiate for the sale of timber and lumber, organize hunts, guarding royal forests and organizing harvest plans to collect trees in a reasonably sustainable way, supervise the work of gamekeepers and falconers, as well as stop poachers.

If criminals hid in the forest he was responsible for organizing armed groups to capture them.

He would enforce "laws of vert and venison" which were special laws restricting the use of wood and animals.

One of his skills would have been "wodecraft", the the knowledge of the rules and conventions of medieval hunting and the skills needed to use them.

I've seen mention of them overseeing "reasonable harvesting" of trees, but I haven't seen anything about them planting trees.

The title of "forester" was highly respected and they sometimes they acted as barristers and arbitrators. However, their pay was only average but good enough to earn a decent living. A forester was typically a "yoeman" of a knight or royalty.

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Most trees were coppiced in those days - it was a very common system in use.

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”