Hexagonal city grid ?

Discuss anticipated or desired features here
MoiChain

Hexagonal city grid ?

Postby MoiChain » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:36 am

What about a grid on an hexagonal basis ?

Buildings could stich many ways, as in real old cities...

arcan

Postby arcan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:51 am

I would like to be able to turn as I like. Medieval city were pretty erratic. Or if not completely free, more like octogonal-like grid

Chris Beatrice

Postby Chris Beatrice » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:51 pm

"MoiChain" wrote:What about a grid on an hexagonal basis ?

Buildings could stich many ways, as in real old cities...

Yeah, that is a pretty cool idea. As I recall, Jeff's first game, Robert E. Lee: Civil War General used a hex grid. I remember (as Impressions' art director at the time), trying to explain the way the tile set to him...

But there are two problems with this for Medieval Mayor:
1) we are too far along to switch such a basic engine thing
2) most players would probably find this more unwieldy than its worth

With our city-building games, and particularly the pre-CotN games, we always tried to span a wide range of gameplay approaches (and gamer abilities / experience). This is very true of MM as well. We want it to be a challenging hardcore strategy game for players who want that, but also a sandbox "toy" for those who don't. This is largely accomplished via a few simple game options, as well as difficulty level settings, but we also need to make sure the core game, the skeleton, does not start off inherently beyond the reach of a lot of gamers.

arcan

Postby arcan » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:57 pm

The usual grid, I wouldn't mind that much as long as buildings can be rotated in pretty much any direction, and roads can be placed diagonnaly

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:37 pm

I keep imaging there will be pleny of potential for "beauty" maps with MM. Maps where players can develop a beautiful town and have it functioning while looking good. I like the idea of a long and winding town where all the houses are only on both sides of the main road and industries are at both ends of the town houses - lots of towns deleoped like that in the times the game is set and I think that will look awesome.

eobet

Postby eobet » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:22 pm

"Chris Beatrice" wrote:Yeah, that is a pretty cool idea. As I recall, Jeff's first game, Robert E. Lee: Civil War General used a hex grid. I remember (as Impressions' art director at the time), trying to explain the way the tile set to him...

But there are two problems with this for Medieval Mayor:
1) we are too far along to switch such a basic engine thing
2) most players would probably find this more unwieldy than its worth

With our city-building games, and particularly the pre-CotN games, we always tried to span a wide range of gameplay approaches (and gamer abilities / experience). This is very true of MM as well. We want it to be a challenging hardcore strategy game for players who want that, but also a sandbox "toy" for those who don't. This is largely accomplished via a few simple game options, as well as difficulty level settings, but we also need to make sure the core game, the skeleton, does not start off inherently beyond the reach of a lot of gamers.

I'm sorry, but I find the UI point about accessibility you're trying to do weak. Settlers have shown for the last 20 years that not restricting the game to a grid can be done without shutting anyone out.

Also... board games. ;) (The most popular euro style board game by far is Settlers of Catan, which is hex based.)

At one point I was hoping that Chris Sawyer's next game would be octagon based and I made a mock-up based on that (with small "helper tiles" to enable completely straight roads). :)

But a medieval city is so far from grid based as you can get, and I think you should push the genre forward, and I think it can be done:

Last edited by eobet on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”