Thoughts on Random Maps

Discuss anticipated or desired features here
Czech Centurian

Thoughts on Random Maps

Postby Czech Centurian » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:11 pm

What are the feelings here on random maps? Is it possible to do? Or would it not be possible for a well balanced CB game?

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Are you talking about auto-generated maps within the game or as part of a map editor program?

I would think that either way a give set of limitations required items could be included so that all the necessary items for a successful map could probably be included in either one.

But, I'm not the developer and I'm not the programmer. I have no idea of how such a thing would be implemented or if they inclined to do so.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:15 pm

It works fairly well in Civilization, but those maps had a limited set of tiles.

Besides that it costs developing time, why not? If 90% of the maps will be playable, you may just re-seed the other 10% that doesn't. Even if it's 50-50 I'd probably enjoy it because the theoretical replay value is so high.

tobing

Postby tobing » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:18 pm

Random maps are not easy to do, but should be possible, with enough smart randomization algorithms.

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Games like Civilization has random maps generated by fractals. It is a rather specialized skill for a game dev. Wouldn't it be nice tho.. but hell for a Mod maker who relies on a specific map for his design.

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”