PatrickHarlow

My wish list for MM.

Postby PatrickHarlow » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Hello all! I've been waiting 500 years for a medieval themed CB so here are
My most wished for features and also what I DON'T want to see. Lets begin

Must haves:

-the ability to create non-perpindicular, messy streets

-non fixed-shape buildings

-CHURCHES. Medieval life and Christianity go hand in hand. Every parish had its church and many people defined their day by ringing church bells. A Sanitized or PC version of religion just ain't medieval. Look at the beautiful panorama of London done circa 1600 by Visscher. Church steeples are half the skyline. Both "local" neighborhood churches should be necessary as well as a city wide cathedral.

-realistic "walkers", i.e no plump, ample bosomed, rosy cheeked milk ladies and fruit sellers or guys juggling in harlequin outfits. Nothing too pastoral or "renaissance faire" vibe but something more real - harried bakers, skinny errand boys, tacky fish wives etc.

-CITY WALLS are a must have. All cities had walls. To protect itself from marauding armies as well as regulating trade. As far as the latter point goes, maybe people going in and out of the gates can generate money for the city in terms of tolls.

-ports, or some sense of the outside world.

-NATURAL DISASTERS AND WEATHER. not only was plague and smallpox prevalent esp in the later medieval era, but fire was an ever present as well as uncontrollable danger in densely built cities made all of wood. London was destroyed by fire many times between 1000 and 1300 in fact by fires. As far as weather goes, I played a Roman Empire game (honestly forgot the name) and when you played "londinium", it occasionally would pour rain or even snow and the city streets would visibly get wet or snow covered. This was not only totally charming but so realistic. London, Paris and Frankfurt don't have always sunny, un changing weather.

-the landscape around the city has to seem real. Cities were often surrounded by farmland which eventually gave way to woodland, meadows and wilderness. I would like to build farms like in "Cities XL" of any size u like rather than "Caesar" type farms that are always , say, built to a 4x6 size.

-some important fortification structure. Not all cities had a castle, but many had some large defensive structure. London had its Tower, Paris its louvre, etc.

MUST NOT HAVE:

-anything too pagan or ANYTHING "magical". Magic and sorcery is not realistic or accurate. Its pure Hollywood/renaissance faire. If there is one wizard wandering around my city it will ruin the game for me totally.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head. Thanks !
Last edited by PatrickHarlow on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:35 am

I agree with most things, but Tilted Mill has stated that the early Middle Ages is the point of reference for Medieval Mayor. Pallisades might be the first choice then in fortification and only few cities would afford grand city walls. We'll see!

As for magic, as I said in the other thread you replied in, I think this should be interpretated through the eyes of a medieval person. There's Hollywood magic, which we could/should ignore and there are phenonema we can explain now but definitely couldn't be explained back then. Let's call these phenonema magic, for the sake of simplicity.

In addition to churches I vote for including abbeys, which were extremely common before the late Middle Ages. Now, abbeys would obviously house monks and monks would have knowledge of the world around them, on herbs or astronomy. Perhaps there'd even be Arabian influences and some hints to islam, when playing in southern Western Europe.

llehsadam

Postby llehsadam » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:17 pm

I guess if Tilted Mill come up with a way to have non perpendicular roads and still keep the game isometric and 2D, that would be brilliant. I'd be happy with creating large zoning areas for housing in between the main perpendicular roads without each tile belonging to a specific house. This way 'inner zone' roads can be messy (probably with already designed wavy geometries that mimic medieval towns). But I don't see how you could then remove one building inside the messy zone and expect to build something else there, the zone would probably be treated like one large structure.

And magic... I'd be fine with some inexplicable miracles and crazy weather systems that could be loosely related to not enough churches. Alchemists and astrologers would walk around and have some power, but not enough to be called wizards. I'd like there to be a certain probability of false predictions.

Rhamses

Postby Rhamses » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:24 am

I agree that a lot of games have this strict geometric layout to them. If you are looking for a game that does not, there is one I know of but it is an older game....It's called Age of Empires. They also had another one called Empire Earth.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:42 pm

"PatrickHarlow" wrote:

MUST NOT HAVE:

-anything too pagan or ANYTHING "magical". Magic and sorcery is not realistic or accurate. Its pure Hollywood/renaissance faire. If there is one wizard wandering around my city it will ruin the game for me totally.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head. Thanks !

I think the point is that the people believed that magic was real. Certain beliefs effected their lives. Not that there were puffs of smoke everywhere.

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”