Finite Resources

Discuss anticipated or desired features here
Czech Centurian

Finite Resources

Postby Czech Centurian » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:06 am

Are there going to be finite resources in the game. Like forests that disappear after exploiting them etc... Small quarries that run out maybe. Might make for some extra challenging situations. Also the ability to switch the feature on/off during scenario creation.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:09 am

Interesting question, I'd like that idea for scenarios(/the campaign).

For sandbox, obviously, it should be possible to keep a city going indefintely (IMHO).

OlMightyG

Postby OlMightyG » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi,

I would not like to see finite Ressources.
People - including me - play such games because they are somehow relaxing. You can take your time, no need to rush.
Having finite ressources would mean:
-You have to finish something you want or have to do in a specific time - concerning ressources that are consumed.
-You can not change your mind with large buildings, they have to be placed correctly - concerning ressources that are needed for large buildings.
-You can not trade for a long time with a profitable ressource and therefore can not get that easy in a comfortable position of building as much as you want.
Except for the last point, the other points are not interesting to change, because they just affect the relaxation-factor of the game.

I only could imagine to offer "exotic" ressources that are not needed and can only be:
-Traded to get more money until no more of the ressource is left
or
-Sold in the own city but not be consumed. E.g. to improve the buildings in a non-functional but optical way.

Thats my opinion... :)

And.. hi. Im new! And I love that type of games. I hope that the Zeus/Pharao/Caesar...-Factor is still alive in this game!
Besides: My personal wish would be a polished and iproved Zeus. That would be great. I would tounge-kiss Tilted Mills guys for that haha.. If I had a lot of money, I would buy Tilted Mill and made them develop Zeus II :) Still playing this game.....

Greetings

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:59 pm

I think Settlers 7 does the resource system quite well - technically infinite yet practically limited. At the start of the map, resource deposits have a set number (and sometimes a low number) and so early development has to be done in a cautious manner. The player can research a technology to "find new resources" (basically replenish exhausted mines), but replenishment occurs very, very slowly. This way, if you're playing a sandbox game, you don't start out too easy but you still can play as long as you like; and if you're playing a scenario game or competitively online, even if your resources are technically unlimited, you can't spend them so quickly all at once or else get overtaken by a better-prepared opponent.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:48 am

Alternatively, it would be somewhat realistic to "upgrade" your ressource harvesting buildings when the ressource runs out to renew the source. Dig the mine deeper. Build a new crane in the quarry to get to those higher stones. Build sturdier boats for fishing further down the river. Give your woodcutter a tree nursery to plant new trees. That way, you wouldn't run out of ressources on the map, you wouldn't have to scar it with a dozend mines for that last bit of iron, but you would have to do something to keep the stuff coming into your warehouses.

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”