How about Mythical Creatures?

Discuss anticipated or desired features here
raphaelle13

How about Mythical Creatures?

Postby raphaelle13 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:22 pm

It's an age when mythical creatures like unicorns, dragons, fairies, satyrs, etc. still exist, it'd be fun to have a mission to capture, kill, or interact with them...
It's about magic too! Like the story of King Arthur, maybe you could input some 'mythical thingy' into the game...
:)

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sat May 11, 2013 6:18 pm

Hmm, I guess it depends on how this is handled. It should still be a medieval city builder, not a fantasy city builder. I wouldn't mind having a problem getting foreign traders to visit because of a rumor of a dragon sitting in the woods nearby, but I don't want dragons frolicking over my map.

raphaelle13

Postby raphaelle13 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:25 am

Hmm... that's true... maybe a 'rumor' about dragon or unicorn or anything else could give a little 'medieval myth' to the game, but a roaming creature might be a little 'disturbing'..

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun May 12, 2013 6:26 am

This idea has been mentioned before.

Personally, I don't want to see a mythical or fantasy creature roaming about the city, sorry. I prefer my city builders to be grounded in more reality than that.

I believe Jeff or Chris mentioned that they may include something along the lines of the dragon idea mentioned above, but it we don't know what they are planning

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun May 12, 2013 2:32 pm

I think classic CBs handled this well enough - the gods needed to appeased with temples or tribute or else your city gets hit with disaster, but you don't actually see the gods themselves. There is that element of the mythical, but it conforms more with the beliefs of the people of those times.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun May 12, 2013 3:14 pm

"Azeem" wrote: but you don't actually see the gods themselves....

...except for Zeus.

In Emporer you had famous Chinese heroes and generals fighting with or against you, also in Zeus you could summon heroes to help your city. I'd be in favor of that more than having a dragon, real or imagined, roaming about the countryside.

Save the dragons, etc. for a Lords of Magic II game. (NOTE: I never played LOM...not my type of game.)

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue May 14, 2013 11:31 am

Howdy folks!

Oh please, if TM is to survive in the gaming community, they must get up to date & stop living in the past.

Absolutely Mythicals! Also, Heroes & Quests!

MoLAoS

Postby MoLAoS » Tue May 14, 2013 1:30 pm

If I ever get my work done on my current project there will be plenty of questing, fighting and mything for everyone. And then you can let Tilted Mill stick to the kinds of games they want to make and are really, really good at making.

Too much magic would spoil the purpose of Tilted Mill games, which is complex city management.

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Tue May 14, 2013 6:26 pm

I'm not in favor of mythics. Sorry.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Tue May 14, 2013 6:44 pm

For me, it really depends on how it is implemented. I think it would be fun if indeed people may want a higher security rating or trade would slow down if rumours of a nearby dragon are going around because it wouldn't be too unrealistic for this belief to be there (I think).

However, of course it depends on development time required, why not make a dragon appear? Drawing the sprite and make it wander around aimlessly shouldn't be too difficult to implement; add a checkbox in the options menu where players can choose to turn off the graphical representation of mythical creatures, while the gameplay effects described as above remain, and it should be a win-win.

Still, I'm unsure how many people actually believed in mythical creatures during the early Middle Ages.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue May 14, 2013 10:26 pm

If I remember correctly, Chris or Jeff said that they might make references to mythical dragons or creatures somehow in the game, but not have them physically present in the game. I'm too lazy right now to search that tidbit out.

That's okay with me, but I can do without them entirely.

PhilL

Postby PhilL » Wed May 15, 2013 11:12 pm

What TM is good at is developing solid city builders. They rarely ventured into the mythical. quest/hero role playing genre.
To get an assist for keith here is the previous thread discussing mythical creatures and magic http://tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27129&highlight=cut+scene

llehsadam

Maybe in the background...

Postby llehsadam » Sun May 19, 2013 11:21 am

If dragons, elves and unicorns are to be implemented, they should work in the background. The player would never see them but their effects would be felt, but fires, gifts, disease would always have some other plausible cause.

For example simple storehouse surpluses that resulted from bad arithmetic could be proclaimed as the work of good elves.

Also there could be rumors and myths about elves and dwarfs based on historical facts. For example dwarfs could be loosely connected to the Walen http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walen (I only have a link in German... no idea what they're called in English).

I'm sure some sort of superstition will be implemented.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sun May 19, 2013 7:50 pm

I can go either way here. Historical Accuracy or Mythical Fantasy. I believe TM can do either pretty well.
I'm just happy it's something new and I am sure it will be unique.
:cool:
:cool:

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”