CameraSettings.xml can't be modded?

For discussion and help on modding and customizing the game
Kuplo

CameraSettings.xml can't be modded?

Postby Kuplo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:23 pm

I've altered the camerasettings.xml file and created an scspack file. I then double clicked on it, and it installed the new CameraSettings.xml file in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SimCity Societies\Data\XMLDb folder.

I start the game but it's still pulling information from the games install folders instead of the mod folders like the instructions say that it will.

Heres the step by step that I did:

1. In the E:\Games\SimCity Societies\Data\XMLDb (this is my INSTALL folder) I edited the CameraSettings.xml file
2. I created an xml file named camera.xml and put it in the export folder
3. I ran the game and it turned the camera.xml file into camera.SCSPack
4. I double clicked on the camera.SCSPack file
5. I was presented with a warning about the file not being an official EA pack and did I want to continue, I chose yes.
6. There is now a file named CameraSettings.xml in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SimCity Societies\Data\XMLDb folder.
7. I start up the game again but the changes are not there. The game is still pulling the data from the original CameraSettings.xml file in the INSTALL folders of the game.

Any clues where I left out a step?

Here is the code of the CameraSettings.xml file in case anybody is interested in doubling their zoom level but be forwarned, obviously it's going to create a more laggy game on some machines as it effectively doubles the zoom length.

Code: Select all

<Camera_Settings_Table>
<Camera_Mode name="CAMERA_TYPE_4_FREE" EdgeBuffer="0" cpu="2.6" mem="1500" >
 <!-- Minimum and maximum distance of camera from ground  -->
 <Height min="2" max="120" />
 <!-- Minimum and maximum camera zoom  -->
 <Zoom min="2" max="120" />
 <!-- Minimum and maximum pitch of camera  -->
 <Pitch min="-1" max="95" />
</Camera_Mode>
<Camera_Mode name="CAMERA_TYPE_3_NORMAL" EdgeBuffer="0" cpu="2.1" mem="600">
 <Height min="2" max="90" />
 <Zoom min="2" max="90" />
 <Pitch min="-38" max="85" />
</Camera_Mode>
<Camera_Mode name="CAMERA_TYPE_2_SUBNORMAL" EdgeBuffer="0" AllowFireworks="false" cpu="2.1" mem="599">
 <Height min="2" max="80" />
 <Zoom min="2" max="80" />
 <Pitch min="-40" max="75" />
 <!-- Edge Buffer  -->
</Camera_Mode>
<Camera_Mode name="CAMERA_TYPE_1_RESTRICTED" EdgeBuffer="0" AllowFireworks="false">
 <Height min="2" max="52" />
 <Zoom min="2" max="52" />
 <Pitch min="-50" max="70" />
</Camera_Mode>
</Camera_Settings_Table>
Last edited by Kuplo on Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:34 pm

Resolved....

There does appear to be a problem and TM will be looking into it.
Last edited by Kuplo on Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Fiske

Workaround

Postby Jeff Fiske » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Seems that this file is not being looked at properly in the mod folders, as you suggest and we are looking into it.

Not for the casual user, but for those of you who are comfortable with the possiblity that you may make a change that would require a reinstallation- For now, I recomend that you make a copy of the original installed version in the same folder. Rename one of them to CameraSettingsORIGINAL.xml and mark it as read only. Take the other one, and make the changes you desire- then you can set up the camera the way you like.

Keep in mind that this is a work around, and in general we don't want users mucking around with the installed files. Also, we don't want users sharing files by this manner. So, like I said at the top, we are looking into it.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:54 pm

You might also want to check out some of the others such as the City Street.xml file because I did the same scspack creation with an altered version of that to make each segment of street cost 15 instead of 5 but the price didn't change after I installed the scspack.

Then again I only altered City Street.xml and not any of the other masses of street xml files so that might be just my bad.

Techleo

Postby Techleo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:02 pm

Its been so long since I modded install files. So far the zoom works fine for me and Ive made my map sizes bigger. All and all TM did a good job making this a easy game to mode. At least I thinks so hehe. :D

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:16 pm

Techleo wrote:Its been so long since I modded install files. So far the zoom works fine for me and Ive made my map sizes bigger. All and all TM did a good job making this a easy game to mode. At least I thinks so hehe. :D

How did you make your map sizes bigger? Did you just swap out the 256 in Random Map.xml for 512 or a different number or what?

Techleo

Postby Techleo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:34 pm

Exactly, just change the denominator and your set. Makes the map HUGE. I suppose if I had another gig of ram I could push it to 1024 but no such luck right now. :D

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:54 am

Techleo wrote:Exactly, just change the denominator and your set. Makes the map HUGE. I suppose if I had another gig of ram I could push it to 1024 but no such luck right now. :D

Yeah I pushed it to 1024 and it's not a problem so far, but the map isn't populated yet. I have to imagine when the map is populated with buildings it will be a struggle. But as a test I'm about to do a 2048 to see how large that is because Im kind of dence and 1024 doesn't look all that much larger to me really.

JEFF:
I think this problem with the camerasettings.xml goes further than just that file. I altered many of the power plants so that they put out more power and built the SCSPack file, and executed it but when starting a new game the power plants showed their original numbers instead of the doubled amount of power that I had modded into the files.

Just thought I should mention it to ya.

Return to “Mods (Discussion)”