Did an accidental experiment last night

For technical or performance related issues
Kuplo

Did an accidental experiment last night

Postby Kuplo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:31 am

So, I started up the game around 9PM and then the better half came home and I turned off the monitor to go make some dinner etc. This morning I got up to find the computer was still turned on, and I turned on the monitor to find that the game was still sitting there at the main menu after 11 hours, which just goes to show me I think that whatever is causing the game to crash or eat memory or whatever is happening not in the main menu at all but in the actual game.

I wish I could sit for 11 hours and actually play the game but it does seem the game can sit idle at the main menu for 11 hours without crashing which I thought was suprising anyway.

Need_Help

Postby Need_Help » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:26 am

Yes, the menu will not cause the game to crash (and the crash will most likely happen when you scroll through the map/build something). If you just pause the game and do nothing there for hours, I think it will not crash too.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:28 am

Yeah I had it come to a chugging stop when I tried to scroll through the build menu to quickly. I think the build menu slowdown when scrolling through it needs to be addressed by TM so that it doesn't cause the crashes and doesn't slow the computer down to a crawl when scrolling through the list of buildings to place.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:37 am

Yeah but another funky thing is that if you play in windowed mode then it doesn't crash at all, so it's a serious problem, still there is also the darn memory leak :(

But this is absolutly a wonderfull game and moddable as crazy :)

Need_Help

Postby Need_Help » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:57 am

Morpheus121073 wrote:Yeah but another funky thing is that if you play in windowed mode then it doesn't crash at all, so it's a serious problem, still there is also the darn memory leak :(

But this is absolutly a wonderfull game and moddable as crazy :)

Not really. I'm crashing too in windowed mode.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:47 pm

Well, I did a fresh install of Windows XP, and only installed the mainboard drivers, audio, graphics etc. Then I installed SCS and played for about 50 minutes without a single crash. Coincidence? I think not. But like I've mentioned prior, I have a multitude of games here and SCS was the only game that I had installed that was crashing like this, about every 10 minutes up to every 45 minutes or so if I put it in window mode.

After a fresh install of the OS it didn't have any problems. Now Im certainly not suggesting that people wipe their hard drives so that they can play the game, but I am theorizing that even though my OS was installed about 8 or 10 months ago and I do keep it relatively clean, there could have been something else on it, or something that was corrupt that was causing the crashes.

I've now reupgraded (fresh install actually) to Windows Vista and SCS will be the first software game that I install on Vista to see how it does with vista and crashing. If it plays without crashing then I have to just assume like in XP, there was something corrupt that wasn't playing nicely with the game.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:41 pm

Already tried that kuplo did not work for me i tried 4 freash installs Vista, XP with service pack 1 and without, with service pack 2 and without, vista even tried 2 different versions that actually makes it 5 times, yeah i was crazy enough to spend 4 days installing everything again.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:49 pm

Hey hey man, no reminders are necessary about how many days Im now going to spend reinstalling all my software again and getting the system to run the way that I like it to run.

Sorry this didn't work for you. Im just pleased that it's worked fo rme., however Im still struggling with Vista and the blasted nvmcp.sys bluescreens (not while playing the game, just out of the blue, I'll get a BSOD caused by the Nvidia sound driver) but once that's fixed up, I'll be trying out the game in Vista and I hope it gives me the same crash-free time that it gave me on a fresh XP install.

By the way for anybody interested, I have Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 which was on the CD from which I installed.

Ed.

Postby Ed. » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:47 pm

Kuplo, after a fresh install of the O/S, did you bring it up to date via Windows Update before running the game, or did you just install the game straight away? Reason is WU overwrites many core files and is a world apart from what's on the original Windows disc.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:49 pm

Yes I did all the windows updates that were available since I was planning on staying with XP, but then got that wild hair up the kiester and ended up doing an install of Vista after finding out that the game was okay on a fresh copy of XP for me.

Need_Help

Postby Need_Help » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:30 am

I think one of the reason is, your PC will have more 'resources' for SC: S to run if it's a fresh install (more disk space, no background programs etc.) so the game will not crash. Same 'theory', when we set the graphic settings lower, the chances to get the game crash also 'lowered'.

Return to “Community Technical Support”