Tried to import some ground paintable textures but no go.

For discussion and help on modding and customizing the game
Kuplo

Tried to import some ground paintable textures but no go.

Postby Kuplo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:24 am

Hello,
I created some ground textures that I want to be able to paint on the ground, and created the following xml file:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Package>
<FileAdd name="\Data\Graphics\Textures\Environment\CB_brownbricks.png" />
<FileAdd name="\Data\Graphics\Textures\Environment\CB_chalksidewalk.png" />
<FileAdd name="\Data\Graphics\Textures\Environment\CB_cobblestone.png" />
<FileAdd name="\Data\Graphics\Textures\Environment\CB_concrete.png" />
<FileAdd name="\Data\Graphics\Textures\Environment\CB_dkgreengrass.png" />
<FileAdd name="\Data\Graphics\Textures\Environment\CB_gravel.png" />
<FileAdd name="\Data\Graphics\Textures\Environment\CB_ltgreengrass.png" />
<FileAdd name="\Data\Graphics\Textures\Environment\CB_sidewalk.png" />
<FileAdd name="\Data\Graphics\Textures\Environment\CB_treegrass.png" />
<FileAdd name="\Data\Graphics\Textures\Environment\CB_yellowconcrete.png" />
<FileAdd name="\Data\Graphics\Textures\Environment\CB_yellowgrass.png" />
</Package>

The game creates an SCSPack files like it should, I double click on it and the importer pops up warning it's not an official EA file and I click okay and it places the files where it should, but they don't show up in the list of paintable tiles.

What do I need to do to get them to show up?

Thanks,

Lilbluesmurf

Postby Lilbluesmurf » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:00 am

You have to make xml files for each of them in one of the folders (decorativeterrain maybe? I forget offhand). If you want titles to show up you also have to make a localization file with the string ids, and if you want them to have portraits in the menu you have to make the portraits for them. Just adding the pngs won't do anything.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:01 am

So are there examples of this in simplified terms, with just the basics of what those other files must contain?

Thatguy2001

Postby Thatguy2001 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:01 am

You need to edit or create a new "DecorativeTerrainSets.xml" file. I have attached my DecorativeTerrainSets.xml file which I used to add my own ground textures. I have also commented in the file what I added so you know exactly where everything goes.

You can use my file and replace the name of my custom textures with yours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:23 am

Thanks for posting that xml file. I found that it contains way more information that I would need to create simple terrain textures so I've attached the necessary examples to this message of the files that would need to be brought into place to make this mod work (using only one texture, if people wanted they could add more lines of text and more textures to flesh it out, it's here as way of example of what is bare minimum required I believe).

CB_BrownbrickText.xml holds the description to show up in the game for the tile and would be located in the SimCity Societies\Localization\en_us folder.

CB_Brownbricks.xml will end up being installed to the Data\XMLDb\Game\DECORATIVE TERRAIN SETS folder

So as you can see the CB_BrownbricksText.xml only needs to contain a very small amount of text and doesn't need anything that was shipped with the game included. It's all very clean and simple.

Hope this helps anybody else looking to do a simple terrain texture mod. I attempted to upload the finished SCSPack file but the forum rejected it saying it's invalid, in what that means I believe is that TM is not accepting SMSPack files and they need to be in zip which I couldn't be bothered to do for this example, sorry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will Jennings

Postby Will Jennings » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:34 pm

The SimCity Mod Exchange is the best place to share SCSPack files -- not everyone knows about this forum, and the Exchange has some nifty features like the ability to search on particular mod types.

aquablupebble

Paintable Terrains

Postby aquablupebble » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:42 am

I am new here and I am wanting to learn how to make the paintable terrains. I downloaded some great ones from SCS. Thank you to all of the artists and effort I see here as I love this game :)

PsYChoWaTrMelon

Postby PsYChoWaTrMelon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:57 am

well thanks for the info Will but will there will be a NON Register download site
other than these forums as EA's Support staff have told me that my Serial is
not valid even after scans of it and a valid receipt from Gamstop ha ha ha. oh well :confused:

mappam

Postby mappam » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:50 pm

Help Please - I think I am missing a step =

I went into Documents Settings/All Users/Applied Data/Sim City Societies/Data/Graphics/Textures/Environment and changed some of the Textures - then did a Save As (to a new name/file).

I did not create a .xml file - how do I do that so these new 'landscape textures' will show up in my game.

I have read the above but get confussed when I see only part of an 'address' as there are things in BOTH the Doc Settings/All users..... and Program files/Electronic Arts..... files etc.

If you could Please give me a step-by-step of how to "convert(??)" my .png (pictures) to .xml files? Do I need to create a NEW folder somewhere?

Also I loaded the "paintable Terrain Hardscapes" but now can Not find where it loaded - -

Please take pity on this old lady and and and - well - -Thanks in advance!

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:03 am

Well I hope these three files help instead of confusing you any further.

I have made comments inside of each file so it shouldn't be too difficult.

You should save these three files and rename them to what you wish to use. Whatever you rename them to will have to be inserted into the correct places inside of the files.

The INSTALL.XML file will be put into your My Documents\Simcity Societies\Export folder. It contains lines of code that tells the game what files we are adding and where to put them in the modding folders based on the path that we list and where the files have actually been placed on your hard drive.

The DECORATIVESET.XML file has coding in it that assigns things like the ID name, and the file names of the actual terrain images that you are adding to the game.

The TERRAINTEXT.XML file contains simply one line of code for each terrain texture that you are adding to the game, it consists of the ID Name of each file (that you assigned in the DECORATIVESET.XML file) and a very very short description to show for the terrain tile in the game.

After you have read through these three files, if you have specific questions feel free to ask and I'll try to answer if I can.

If you find that you are getting more confused by the comments in these three files, then delete them and wait for someone else to answer, because I've done the best I can, and Im all too often very very unclear and confusing.

Good luck.

mappam

Postby mappam » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:07 am

Kuplo - you are AWESOME!! I can't thank you enough for doing this for me!!

Couple of things =

# Do I 'Copy/Paste' these or do I need to Save (or does it matter?)
# Do I create a New Folder? Example - my Documents/Sim City Societies/Export folder is empty.

Again - I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help :D

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:27 am

Save them somewhere on your hard drive and that way you can reuse them later on for a sort of template.

No you only need the Export folder which should already be there. However you may need to create the folders that reside in the Application Data/Simcity Societies/ etc etc etc. I found the easiest way was to just go download a texture mod from the simcity.com exchange and install it, that way those folders will get made for you and probabilities are quite high that the folders created for someone elses texture mod is the same as you will be using.

And remember to rename them to something appropriate, like mappam_texture_pack.xml and mappam_texture_TEXT.xml and mappam_decorative_terrain.xml so that people know what they are when they are looking at them. And of course you'll be renaming them inside of the files so that they reference what you rename them to.

mappam

Postby mappam » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:17 pm

Thanks again - I have named them:

C_SC5A_Pam_Flagstone.png
C_SC5A_Pam_Cobblestone_Quaint.png
Etc

Egads - I need a Partner - I will do the recolor and someone else will make these .xml files ;) I can recolor all day but when it comes to all this programing I really but on my Dumb Hat! I have REEMS of paper with printouts of all these instructions then get into the correct file/area and go blank ROFL!!

primitive

Postby primitive » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:17 am

Would anyone happen to have a copy of the attachments that are disabled within this thread? Would love to have them -- posting the text(s) here would be wonderful. Many thanks to anyone who would be willing to do this!
Last edited by primitive on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mods (Discussion)”