Game Crashing/Freezing

For technical or performance related issues
Mellith

Game Crashing/Freezing

Postby Mellith » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:44 pm

When I first bought Caesar IV, I was able to play for a few hours and then the game started freezing/crashing every two or three minutes. This was several months ago, and I recently decided to give it another shot since I liked the content when I was actually able to play. Sometimes it's a temporary freeze that's like an extended pause and I still have use of my mouse. Most of the time, however, it crashes my computer. I'm not getting error messages, just a completely frozen screen and then I have to reboot.

Freezes seem to come especially when moving from my forum or from viewing the empire back to viewing my city, after/during autosaves, or just at random. I've turned down all my graphics, and sound is off, so I'm not sure what's causing this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:43 pm

There is a Radeon X300/X550, probably with passive cooling (no fan.) So my guess would be that the video card is overheating after playing a while. Turning down the graphics levels to minimum will help, and the old trick of a house fan blowing into the open case may also help.

Since it can be played for "hours" this is most likely the problem rather than the video driver version.

Having patch 1.2 installed and then editing the caesariv.ini file to turn off the weather effects will also help.

Setting all the in-game message pausing options to OFF from the game's Interface menu will help.

Mellith

Postby Mellith » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:07 am

Not sure why I'm replying, as I found the first reply post rather offensive, but in any case, I was curious as to whether it was my 5-year-old system's decaying Windows and outdated hardware and drivers... so I tried installing the program on a friend's gaming computer... same results.

In addition, the 1.2 patch keeps giving me an error message saying something to the effect of "a previous version has been detected on your computer and must be uninstalled before proceeding."

After all this, (and I did buy the game legally and all that, as it appears you assume I didn't) I may just end up sticking with Caesar III, which at least runs well on my computer.

Finally, I have no idea what the page file stuff is. Guess I was hoping for a fix-it layman's terms.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:18 am

You may already have version 1.2 installed. Later versions are usually already updated when you buy them.

Also, any patch you use must match the language version of your game. The U.S. 1.2 patch will only work on the U.S. version of the game.

Also, if you bought your game from TryMedia or Direct2Drive as a digitaldownload you have to get your support and patches from them. They make alterations to the game to make it run without a disk so they have to provide the tech support and patches.

How old is your friend's computer? His may not be any better off than yours.

Mellith

Postby Mellith » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:59 pm

I bought Caesar IV shortly after it came out, maybe a month or two after. My friend's computer is just over 2 years old whereas mine is almost 5. I have actual disks, the cute little box, and all that jazz.

I don't think that it's my video card overheating because I can play World of Warcraft, the Sims2, etc, with no problems. The other computer has a much better video card than I do and I was still having the freezing problem.

Any other ideas?

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:19 pm

It will read 1.2 in the upper right.

open screen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mellith

Postby Mellith » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:43 pm

Daemon tools has been uninstalled. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game as well as lowering all the settings to their minimum values and things still froze up the first time I went from my advisors back to my city.

As far as the page file stuff is concerned, I already stated that I don't know what you're talking about as far as identifying the problem and resolving it. Restating that I have a problem isn't much help. What are you suggesting?

Novicia

Postby Novicia » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:44 am

I'm also experiencing random crashing and freezing. No error messages. This seems to happen on large maps when the city's built up and things are generally busy. I've adjusted many of the game's settings, without much luck.

I read Phil's first post here with some interest, particularly his reference to virtual drives. I have VMWare Player installed with Windows 98. This was just in case the older CBs wouldn't play on my new machine, which they do just fine. I more or less forgot about it. When I ran msconfig the VMWare Player was ticked and therefor running in the background. Could this be an issue?

Anyhow, attached is my dxdiag. Also have the background apps list ready, should you need this.

Thanks

Novicia

Novicia

Postby Novicia » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:17 pm

Thanks, Phil.

Will address the issues you mentioned. In the meantime attached is the list.

Thanks

Novicia

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:56 pm

"Novicia" wrote:Thanks, Phil.

Will address the issues you mentioned. In the meantime attached is the list.

Thanks

Novicia

Can you upload a saved game that freezes on you?

Novicia

Postby Novicia » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:08 am

Did everything suggested, went back to the attached game and it froze after 15 minutes!

The attachment is from a user-created scenario - the military tutorial. It was the first game to give me problems and the only one I kept. The others were testers to log when a crash/freeze occurred, so I never saved them.

Anyhow, I am feeling optimistic. Now that I have done everything suggested, I am going to start a nice large map from scratch in the hope that all will be well. The attachment is for you to give me the good news that its corrupted (and have a laugh at my shoddy city).

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:10 am

Well it locked up for me as well, but after I put it on normal speed so....... :eek:

Corruption.jpg

aramann

Postby aramann » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:55 pm

Since this particular Scenario was created by Hieronymus and myself we'll take a look at your save just to make sure there is nothing specific to the scenario causing the crash.
Sorry you're having trouble with it.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:00 pm

Novicia - I loaded your save and also had C4 crash, though a little earlier than Rnett did. Likeliest cause is either a) a random corruption in your save file (this is sadly not as uncommon as we'd like) or b) you have some unusual combination of circumstances that causes a crash in this scenario. If we can pin point the cause we will let you know. Either way it sounds as though you just got unlucky. :(

Novicia

Postby Novicia » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:30 am

Phil, looks like your advice has done the trick. I've replayed one of the previous tester maps and have progressed a lot further in it. No crash, freeze or glitch of any kind! Well, there was one glitch - Rome's army :D

So, things are looking promising.

Aramann, Hieronymus, I will redownload the tutorial and make a fresh start. Hopefully all will be well.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Return to “Community Technical Support”