BIG mistake for your distribution

For all discussion relating to Children of the Nile: Alexandria
bluetattoo

BIG mistake for your distribution

Postby bluetattoo » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:23 pm

Well, that's it. After the Hinterland fiasco with Steam, and having their annoying window pop up EVERY TIME I turn on my computer even though I've said stay off-line, I'm now told I'm not allowed to purchase the Alexandria expansion pack due to not having purchased your game FROM THEM.

This is complete bull****, quite frankly. Are you deliberately trying to turn people away? What idiot decided this was a good idea? I've tried locating a registration code on my cd case and in the instruction manual and it's not listed anywhere there (another brilliant move, I might add). Tried looking for one in the program files as well, but since I'm no computer programmer apparently I'm a bit too ignorant to un-bury the damned thing if it's even included there. I'm so sorry I didn't keep the original packaging on which it most likely was attached.

So, there you have it. What used to be one of my favorite companies and was my favorite game can now go straight to hell. This mess has made me want to just completely wash my hands of the entire thing. Such a nightmare, and totally un-necessary. I don't care what your reasoning may be for releasing the expansion in this manner, because the ball was obviously dropped at some point. It's ridiculous how more and more companies are adopting this "we don't give a ****" attitude and force consumers to jump through hoop after hoop in some sick "audition" process just to be allowed to purchase your product. No thanks.

You've just lost another customer.

speysider
Location: Migdol, Osiriskai: Maritis, Sethat-ib: Qadesh, Rasuten

Postby speysider » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:06 pm

This forum is for Technical issues for the game Children of the Nile. It is not for people to rant and rave about TM's bad distribution problem. Reed, please move this to the TM General Forum? It's got nothing to do with CotN.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:41 pm

Hmm, well, that sounds really bad. Looks like Steam/TM messed up there. Give TM some credit for offering their games on a number of online distributors, though!

Numerobis

Postby Numerobis » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:01 pm

Online game distribuition is one of the best things that happened to the gaming industry. It even gives small developers a shot and staying competitive. It isn't perfect, obviously there can be technical issues (like normal sales don't have them, right?) and some distributors are better then others. Personally I prefer Impulse or Gamersgate because they are less intrusive, but I have nothing against Steam.

It is totally your choice to consume products via online distribution or not, if you don't like it then just move on. Calling people stupid when you can't even configure a simple application like Steam to not start when Windows starts is rather ironic.

I for one, in many that are actually buying games these days, am glad there is Steam (Impulse etc...).

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:04 am

"Numerobis" wrote:
I for one, in many that are actually buying games these days, am glad there is Steam (Impulse etc...).

We will see how happy you are when Valve/Steam closes and takes the servers offline. Poof you will not be able to play the games you have purchased ever again unless you re-purchase them. Granted maybe it will not happen but even if they do not turn off the servers they will eventually have to stop supporting some games.

I buy 10-20 games a year, In the last 10 years I have bought 2 online and guess what I had to re-purchase both of them because Atari changed hands, ATARI for goodness sake..

Game downloads are fine as long as you can back them up locally then install and play them offline. Why don't they do this?

Just my little rant, I will leave the soapbox for the next person.

:cool:

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:26 pm

GamersGate! No download client installed on your machine, no need to be online - ever. Copy the download to CD and violoa, use CD to re-install. Patches and updates - copy to CD.

I purchased Alexandria from GamersGate and will probably purchase any online only games from same.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:50 pm

Really? You give me a glimmer of hope that I will get to play Alexandria..

Must check into Gamersgate, thanks for the lead!

Numerobis

Postby Numerobis » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:58 pm

Actually, I think it is possible to do that with Impulse downloads too.

I actually have moved some games I download on Gamersgate from my computer to my laptop through a pendrive so it is possible to backup =)

Just to add to the discussion though...

I'm well aware that games that you have access to online aren't a sure deal for years to come. Then again I have proven to myself now and again that my CDs and DVDs also have a deadline. I end up misplacing them, breaking them or sooner or later they end up not being usable. (10 year CDs have this annoying habit of collecting too much dust =) )

Also, as I said in that other thread =P, online sales are very handy for people that don't live in countries where computer games are mainstream. Seriously unless you want to buy The Sims it is impossible to find games in Brazil. Fine...actually I know some places that I could probably find some blockbusters, but they aren't very practical and mostly it is for people that live in either Rio or São Paulo, where I live it is simply impossible to find legitimate CDs, pirate CDs...now those are easy to find (although only for high profile games).

Online distribution also lets small developers have access to the market cutting costs and sometimes bypassing the need for a big name publisher.

So again, while there are flaws in the system online distributors are considerably changing how games are consumed, or so I've been told =P

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:27 pm

I love the idea of downloading games. It is a huge cost savings!

Unfortunately so far all the ones I have checked require you to be online to install. And some check the online status every time you play. If you can not connect to the webserver you can not play.

Gamersgate while it does offer some hope still requires an internet connection to install.
From GamersGAte FAQ
Can i download a game on one computer and install it on another one?

Yes, you can.

* 1) Copy the download file and the temp folder as they are located near each other
* 2) Paste on another computer that has connection to the internet
* 3) Run the download file and fill in the login/password if necessary
* 4) The installation process will start automatically, if the temporary folder is in place, since it will find the install files.

NOTE: Internet connection is required for performing the installation process. Installation cannot be made manually. It is done automatically and it requires internet connection to be performed properly.

Still a strike out for me but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Note to TM: I would rather pay $29 + $19 for enhanced/alexandria shipped to me (disk only would be fine) then pay $19 + $5 and risk not being able to play when the online site stops supporting the title. And they will stop supporting the title under any one of quite a few reasons.

;)

Numerobis

Postby Numerobis » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:47 am

It requires a connection to validate the installation. (so you can enter the key or code for the game or whatever), after that it doesn't need a connection at all. Even Steam doesn't need a connection. Steam checks to see if there is one, but you can play offline no problem.

Return to “Alexandria”