In defense of Tink

Feedback, questions and general discussion regarding Nile Online
abana

In defense of Tink

Postby abana » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:57 pm

I would like to initiate a place for anyone who supports Tinkerbell to voice their opinion. I had thought of starting a poll, but I can't think of enough options to list. I don't want it to be biased. I had also been looking for someone who could/would recieve PMs so that people's comments could remain anonymous. If there is anyone who would like to fill that role, please say so.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:33 pm

Oh goodie! Another fun thread...

...I'll start...

Tink is HOT (desperately needs air conditioning)! However, San Diego isn't on fire (yet), so that's good.

...prays for all my friends in Los Angeles & elsewhere

:(

<back to tinkering in the Lab>

:D

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:04 pm

I have no issues with Tink, Tink is really very fun.

I Tink I see the way this thread will go though.

Siptah
Location: Fürth, Germany | Immortal in Sabah | as Men Maat Ra in Sabah & Theoris now

Postby Siptah » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:27 pm

tink is fun... as are many other forumers... but tink is always stays above it and thus usually is funnier ;-)

and why would anyone attack him so that he needs to be defended ? trying a "how's the funniest guy in the forums contest" ?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:29 pm

This is dedicated to abana

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

abana

Postby abana » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:06 pm

My real purpose in my whole campaign is to highlight that the way that Tink posts is too autocratic. Instead of "I like", "I think", I want", from him it is "It is". If I read just the suggestions from his posts, and ignore the style, I often agree with him. He is very knowledgeable and informative on game mechanics. Tink has answers to many problems, and will always work at finding an answer/solution if he doesn't know it.

I take exception to the "my way is the only way" attitude, he has often stated that he doesn't feel that way, but his posts promote differently than his words.

I can tell that when Tink gets a new game, he is relentless in learning as much as he can about it. From what I have read, he was one of the first to become extremely proficient in C4 and CotN.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:18 pm

"abana" wrote:My real purpose in my whole campaign is to highlight that the way that Tink posts is too autocratic. Instead of "I like", "I think", I want", from him it is "It is". If I read just the suggestions from his posts, and ignore the style, I often agree with him. He is very knowledgeable and informative on game mechanics. Tink has answers to many problems, and will always work at finding an answer/solution if he doesn't know it.

I take exception to the "my way is the only way" attitude, he has often stated that he doesn't feel that way, but his posts promote differently than his words.

I can tell that when Tink gets a new game, he is relentless in learning as much as he can about it. From what I have read, he was one of the first to become extremely proficient in C4 and CotN.

Several points, abana

1) Please stop! I absolutely hate ring kissing posts & threads. We are all equals here, no one is better than any other player.

It is the reason I changed my moniker away from my real name of MarkDuffy & retired that moniker, cuz I got the forum rungs title of Pharaoh & that was just too much to bear.

I am a VERY proud Little People™. I am theirs & they are mine. I am NOT an elitist.

2) I am what I am. I like to post about controversial subjects. I am a Rebel.

3) I do not believe I post that there is only one way to play any game. Just the opposite.

...except that players must buy scarabs...<g>...

abana

Postby abana » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:16 pm

I never said that you were an elitist, in some ways you and I are a lot alike. I know that you disdain C3, but I can give a good example with that game.

There was a new c3 player who didn't understand why her small tents wouldn't upgrade, she could find no way to make them do so, the game doesn't really explain how to do that, when I discussed it with her, I found that she didn't have wells close enough. The game doesn't tell you that you have to build them within 2 tiles. My own problem wasn't in placing the tents, but in not understanding how the fire/collapse protection worked. I felt that they could best uncover dangers if they had access all the way around the building, so I built roads around each building. Although you don't play, I know that you know how, and understand that I was making it worse for myself.

I am trying to create a beginner's map with step-by-step guides in how to do some of these things. I could imagine you doing the same type thing. We are both most interested in guiding new players through some of the seemingly insurmountable problems.

What you don't know about me is that I was once homeless. I then got involved in a grass-roots organization trying to improve conditions/services. At one time, I was a board member of The Connecticut Coalition Against Homelessness. We had a panel on empowerment. I questioned my role on that panel. One of the other members(who was the director of a shelter and was not formerly homeless) said that if he makes a statement that "homeless people love beets, so we serve beets 3 times a week" it was my job to say "Beets don't do a thing for me".

I have a lot of experience in predicting how other people react. I can only be sure of what my reaction is, but I learned in this real life experience, that whatever my reaction is, is probably shared by at least some others.

I think that my first interaction with you was when you told me that I was too market-dependant. I took it to heart, as that advice was coming from "The Great Tinkerbell" You criticized my practice of setting up a city on the outskirts and selling goods that I bought in the center. What you don't know is that many of those players couldn't get the goods in a timely fashion any other way, I transported the gold, etc, and it was close to them, so that when they needed it, I could sell it to them, and they could begin their jewelry production much faster. I made it a practice that if a good was abundant I didn't sell it. There was one player(after I had first founded a city) who sent me a scroll that said something like, "I must admit that when I first saw an established player flooding the market with goods, I thought that my own wouldn't sell". But after she was producing and selling jewelry, I didn't sell jewelry.

I know that you will agree that different people have different styles in playing(you have said this in the past), but IMO, your posts say that your way is the best(only) way.

Homeworld'sa

Postby Homeworld'sa » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:52 pm

I don't like the way this is going. Could erupt into a flamewar. :|

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Not if we all stay calm :)

"Tinkerbell" wrote:
Tink is HOT

LOL

Tink makes me laugh! :D

Great video too - always loved the Pythons! :D

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:18 pm

Ivy wrote:LOL

LOL :D

I meant this HOT ~ Fire prompts evacuations, but crews make progress

Sticky hot ~ We have fires in California (and earthquakes). Indian Summer. Hot like fried my old computer's graphics card on Orc Lords Loooog Game (but finished it & won anyway).

Tink makes me laugh! :D

Great video too - always loved the Pythons! :D

A very good friend sent that link to me. It rocks!

Thank You!
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:21 pm

I may be visiting San Diego for a few weeks next year.
Tink, since you know the city, would you suggest the Hotel Del Coronado, or the Hotel US Grant?

Or is there a nicer hotel that you might suggest? :D
(the nicer the better)

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:34 pm

I have been to both, Zeal, but I don't stay at "nice" places. Motel 6 is about my speed.

Howver, I did go to The Ahwahnee ("Ladies, pantsuits are NOT acceptable" sign at the Dining Room :rolleyes: ) while on one of my many backpack trips in Yosemite. They serve Tea & Cookies at 4 PM sharp. It took days for us to get rid of the English accents! LOL

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:39 pm

I've never heard of that, but if the pictures I saw are the correct place it looks cool
I do love the way stones and woods look together :)

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:38 pm

The Hotel Del is definitely worth at least a visit. One of my High School Proms was held there. I was born under a runway in Coronado at NAS North Island, before the Strand & Bridge was built. Only way to get there was by ferry & it was VERY kewl!

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:44 pm

Yes...
I was leaning towards the Hotel Del because it reminds me of Florida
The Grand Floridian Resort was modeled after the Hotel Del Coronado

The Wooden Victorian architecture with it's white painted details and bold red roofs are breathtaking ;)
I love how they contrast the blues of the water and sky
they don't make hotels like that anymore...

Mr Ears

Postby Mr Ears » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:47 pm

When I started here, I liked Tink. I shared his angles concerning the game and backed him up in threads. I really don't know what happened that it all turned that ugly. Somehow, one day we had a conversation via PM that got really weird, developing from a normal one into one where accusations and that quickly became a vicious fight. Then there's this whole thing with JuliaSet...

I really doubt that Tink has the honesty and sincerity to be able to discuss issues with him consistently in a civilized manner. But that's a crucial thing in communication: knowing to be talking to a discussion partner who is predictable in terms of reliable to consistently respecting manners and acting civilized.

It's really strange how he fails to understand that I am on his side. :(

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:47 pm

Wow, Zeal!

Looks almost exactly the same! Florida & Alaska are the only two states I have never been to. Missing Florida, as a diver, is quite embarrassing! I have dove the Carribean though, but we left outta Galveston, Texas of all places. Thankx for sharing.

abana

Postby abana » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:50 pm

+Tink cannot see that anyone is on his side. It has to do with his paranoia. After all, didn't he say that there should be more PvP, we are just giving him what he has said that he wants.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:03 pm

I wouldn't live there but Alaska is beautiful, from what I've seen, and I wonder if there are good diving opportunities there.

as for Florida.. it has it's ups and downs like any other state but I feel the ups are worth the downs (no state income tax for example)
I suggest looking into one of the hundreds of natural springs .. maybe one of them would be deep enough to allow diving o_0 (there are some gorgeous springs in Florida too)

PS Florida is sometimes called "the most Northernmost Southern State" lol
that is in mentality not geography btw...

Return to “General Discussion”