Biggest city

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Flammehav

Biggest city

Postby Flammehav » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:38 am

How big is it possible to make a city in CoTN, useing any map you want?

How long does it take you before you're starting to reach max or atleast a rather big one, and how many people do you have then?

How many nobels, priests, shops and farmers do you have?

What is the biggest challange in a big city? Lack of food and/or wares, distribution, lack of educated workers, unhappy people, lack of villagers/farmer kids etc.

I only played through the easy campaign yet, but it looks like if you go on long enough(so the kids can populate the houses) and have lots of rescourse spread out over the map(resources for common and lux shops). There doesn't seem to be limit to how big you can build.

So how big is your biggest city?

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:22 pm

It's not my goal to build "as big as possible", but I can give you some tips:

Use a map with lots of plain land, lots of floodplain and a good distribution of ressources, like this http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15892
Tom said he made a population of at least 10,000 with it.

Your biggest problem (if you have enough room and floodplain) will be then lack of elite worker slots some time. On normal, it is capped at 35 elites, which will be pretty few, even if you don't build scribes (you will have enough food anyway), commanders (often not necessary in sandboxes) or overseers; you will need priests for your city satisfaction, and they will have to evenly distribute healthcare and worship overe your city. There's a mod that raises the elite slots to 225, but it can cause bugs, so I don't reccomend it (and it's also cheating, isn't it?).

You can have as much nobles and farmers as you want and can satisfy; you will need enough shops (and enough ressources for them) and enough shrines, hospitals, and luxus for your nobles. Unhappy people can be avoided if you plan carefully.

Lack of food shouldn't be a problem ;)

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:50 pm

The few times I tried making large cities, I actually ran out of villagers so growth slowed to a crawl. At that point you may think its a waiting game but before long the resources get used up.

It's been a long time since I've played COTN but I had a few large cities as I do like to build large as a last ditch effort to stay entertained.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:31 am

"Flammehav" wrote:How big is it possible to make a city in CoTN, useing any map you want?

Please ask tomnobles

...and I thought I was totally insane...he's got me beat by a mile...

NobleSeth

Postby NobleSeth » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:49 am

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:53 pm

"Flammehav" wrote:How big is it possible to make a city in CoTN, useing any map you want?

How long does it take you before you're starting to reach max or atleast a rather big one, and how many people do you have then?

How many nobels, priests, shops and farmers do you have?

What is the biggest challange in a big city? Lack of food and/or wares, distribution, lack of educated workers, unhappy people, lack of villagers/farmer kids etc.

I only played through the easy campaign yet, but it looks like if you go on long enough(so the kids can populate the houses) and have lots of rescourse spread out over the map(resources for common and lux shops). There doesn't seem to be limit to how big you can build.

So how big is your biggest city?

This post should say it all. I used a mod for max graduates.
http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showpost.php?p=267231&postcount=7

Also used this map. Try the second one to build larger than I did.
http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23962

Return to “General Discussion”