Microsoft hopes for a fresh start with Windows 7

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Rnett

Microsoft hopes for a fresh start with Windows 7

Postby Rnett » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:01 pm

SEATTLE -
Microsoft Corp. put a new edition of Windows on sale Thursday, hoping for a fresh start after a bad reception for the previous version of the software that runs most of the world's personal computers.

Windows 7 is now available on new computers, and as a software upgrade for some older PCs.

A Fry's Electronics store in Renton, Wash., several miles south of Microsoft's headquarters in Redmond, opened at midnight to give customers an early shot at buying a new PC or a disc that they could use to put Windows 7 on their existing computers. Such upgrade discs start at $120.

"We're geeks, that's what geeks do. This is our excitement," said Mike Naramor, 55, who runs a consulting business called My Computer Guy and was one of about 50 people who were waiting outside the store when it opened.

Naramor said that he also had bought copies of the last two operating systems, XP and Vista, the nights they were released and that he planned to go home and install Windows 7 right away.

"Vista took me about 72 hours," he said. "I expect this to take me 20 minutes."

Indeed, Microsoft hopes people like Windows 7 more than its most recent predecessor, Vista, which was slow and didn't work well with existing programs and devices. Microsoft fixed many of Vista's flaws, but it was too late to repair the system's reputation.

Windows 7 promises to boot up faster and reduce the clicks needed to get common tasks done. Microsoft has cut out some redundant ways to start up programs and added flourishes that can help users keep track of all their open windows. It promises to put computers into sleep mode and wake them faster, too.

Windows 7 is also meant to be "quieter" — with fewer pop-up boxes, notifications, warnings and "are you sure ..." messages. Instead, many of those messages get stashed in a single place for the user to address when it's convenient.

To coincide with the Windows 7 launch, computer makers and retailers such as Best Buy Inc. are cutting prices for PCs to try to goose holiday-season sales. Microsoft also is beginning to try running its own retail stores, which has been enormously successful for Apple Inc. The first Microsoft store was set to open Thursday in Scottsdale, Ariz.

Analysts at Gartner Inc. aren't expecting the arrival of Windows 7 to cause a spike in consumer PC sales, which means prices for new machines figure to stay low. Last year was the worst in about six years for the PC industry, and global computer shipments declined through the first half of this year.

The recession has also led businesses to delay spending on PCs and other technologies. Because of those tight budgets and the lack of enthusiasm for Vista, more than 80 percent of new computers installed in offices still run Windows XP, which is now 8 years old, according to Forrester Research. A year from now, Forrester expects most new business PCs to be using Windows 7, but that won't necessarily translate into a huge boost for the PC industry.

In a recent interview, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer acknowledged that information-technology budgets "aren't going to rise just because we shipped a new (operating system)."

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20091022/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_windows7_launch

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:47 pm

microsoft won't be seeing any money from me im good with mandriva and vista for games, thanks

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:56 pm

Good thing I went for an early purchase for only $49. :D

Saved $60.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:05 pm

Well if Microsoft follows suit Windows 7 will be a success and work well..

I would guess not many here ever saw Windows 1, I have never seen or heard of a Windows 2, Windows 3 was pretty popular and I believe the first version of windows with large sales numbers. Windows 3.1 and 3.11 were pretty solid and added networking support.

Windows 95 was Windows 3.11 technology+ with a new User Interface (UI).
Windows 95a , sucked bad with lots of bugs, Windows 95b was a little better and Windows 95c was really solid.

Then a small tech change and some UI changes to Windows 98
Windows 98 was quite buggy, Windows 98SE very nice, Windows ME was solid if installed fresh but they broke it bad if you upgrade. (WinME=Joke)

Windows NT, while similar look as Windows 95 it has more security and disk/user control and options. It got better with each tech update and always more stable than 98. It was based on New Technology (NT) and by time it was NT4.0 was and still is rock solid and used by many large and small corporations for it's networking support.

Big tech change to NT engine with 98 UI with 2000
Windows 2000, had many UI and driver issues before it evolved into XP. Windows XP gets more solid with each SP update.

Vista, No personal experience but it seems to be quite the joke and buggy as 6-day old road kill.

Hopefully 7 turns out to be good, I am waiting a year before I even think about changing from XPProsp3.
:cool:

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:42 am

"tomnobles" wrote:Good thing I went for an early purchase for only $49. :D

Saved $60.

Do did I. The preorder seemed like the way to go. :)

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:22 am

We had no pre-order in South Africa. :(

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:09 pm

South-Africia doesn't have Amazon, or Amazon didn't offer it?

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:03 pm

Amazon doesn't ship because of the post office - amazon was constantly replacing stolen orders.

blitz100

Postby blitz100 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:54 pm

I don't remember Windows 1, but Windows 2 was a piece of junk. Even back then it was absurdly slow. Most people preferred Norton Desktop over Windows 2. The Mac was by far the best GUI and worked a lot better than either of those. Back then most PC users were hard core DOS fans who hated the idea of Windows.

I favored the Mac and didn't really like Windows much till Win 3.1 came out because that is when PCs could use a GUI at a reasonable speed. However the networking for PCs still sucked even with the introduction of Windows for Workgroups compared to the Mac.

Win 95 was a completely new technology and not based on Win 3.1 at all. Win 95 is when PCs finally got plug and play. Most people don't know about the headaches early PC users had to go through every time something new had to be installed on a PC. Dealing with conventional memory, extended memory, managing the overhead drivers took, getting the loading order right, etc.

Every OS after Win 98/Me is based on Win NT technology. Microsoft keeps copying features that Mac users have enjoyed, but it could still improve a lot. For example, if a Mac user wants to upgrade his hard drive he can simply copy everything from the old hard drive to the new one and swap them. With Microsoft this still isn't possible because of the way the registry works. You'd need a program like Ghost to do this. On Macs if you upgraded to a newer computer you can transfer programs by simply copying the directory and preference files, but this won't work on PCs because of the registry, .dll files, and other reasons. Again you'd need a third party program to transfer programs or spend many hours reinstalling everything.

Win 7 has some very nice features like ReadyBoost where you can plug in a flash drive and it will improve the boot up time or it can use the flash drive as memory. Sleep and hibernate should work better now and many performance improvements have been made over Vista. It doesn't have as many annoying alert messages as Vista. The task bar has been improved. Its requirements are much less than Vista so you can run it on a Netbook. Supposedly Win 7 should have less compatibility problems than Vista, but I'll have to wait and see. However, Win 7 does have the ability to run in XP mode in case you need it.

SlipperyJim

Postby SlipperyJim » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:16 pm

Points everyone toward the free VMware Player:
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Run any OS you want. Don't need Windows 7. :)

Return to “The Outside World”