Impatience while starting a new game

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Hatshepsut

Impatience while starting a new game

Postby Hatshepsut » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi everybody!
A few days ago, I "found" this game again after a long time, and I feel a bit obsessed with it :rolleyes:
When I begin with a new map, I try to follow some tips in planning which I read here in this forum, but still I don't feel much success. My brickmakers seem to work so slowly :D I think I am too impatient, but I wonder if some people out there are much faster in city-building. I always set about 3 brickmakers and 3 bricklayers, and the first thing for them to build is the bakery, then a priest, school, and so on. But it takes such a lot of time to produce the bricks.
Another problem of me is food. I never have enough! I set maybe 4 nobles in the beginning, and as many farms as possible then. With the food that they produce, I hardly can feed the people until the next harvest, but of course I also need food for expeditions and all that stuff on the World Map. How do you manage this?

Maybe you can tell me how fast your brickmakers are ;) , or what I am doing wrong.

Thanks a lot ! Hat (please excuse my English, Germany is still on holidays ;) )

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:32 pm

Howdy, Hatshepsut!

I always begin a scenario with a minimum of 8 brickmakers & 6 layers before I ever come off pause. Up to 12/8 if there are more than 150 starting villagers. 4 Nobles to start.

I also hit the plus key to zoom the game to speed 2.5 immediately.

Don't worry about your people having food for the first two harvests. They will be fine. World Map much later after you get your graduates, priests, services, palace upgrades & at least one counting scribe for more food.

Good Luck! :)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:35 am

The game does require some patience. If you try to rush through it you will probably have trouble or become frustrated. I've always said these games are a marathon not a sprint.

When starting a city things will go a bit more slowly at first. Don't overbuild. Complete one building at a time otherwise your brickmakers and bricklayers will have a tough time keeping up. Build a good number of brickmakers to start with. 10-12 would be a good number. Have several bricklayers; 3-4 would be good. Build a brickyard near your construction site. The bricks from the brickmakers will automatically appear there. The bricklayers can get the bricks from there to the construction site quicker.

When you start a new building project further away, build a new brickyard first, then delete the old brickyard. The bricks from the first brickyard will transfer to the new one. Otherwise the bricklayers have to walk all the way back to the brickmaker for their next load. You need to have your game fully patched to have brickyards.

Food for a while won't be problem, but you should try to increase the number of farmer to the maximum that your townhouse dwelling nobles can manage. As the townhouses evolve higher they can manage more farms. So keep watching what your maximum number is and how many you have and add farms as needed.

A scribe counting fields will help increase the harvest. Having a palace granary or seperate granary will help store more food at first. Bakeries also store grain to make bread.

However, always..... always use the first graduate as a teacher in a school. Then use the other graduates for priests and scribes.

Work on building tombs and statues to help raise your prestige so you can have more scribes, commanders, overseers, etc. Upgrade your palace.
Last edited by Keith on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speedy7th

Some Building Tips

Postby Speedy7th » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:02 am

Hi Hatshepsut!

If you go to http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12328 you'll see that the many stages of a typical game are listed in an easy to find format.

If you print it out you'll have a convenient way to refer to it while you build your city.

Enjoy! :)

Speedy 7th.

Hatshepsut

Postby Hatshepsut » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:00 am

Thank you all for the quick answers :)
So I'll make more brickmakers in the future, use the brickyards better and try to improve my city-managing-skills step by step, with growing patience :)
And I will consider the link with tips, thank you, too!

Hat

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:28 pm

You need to improve your noble townhouses as you go too. To do this you will need to build a law court, gardner, and at least one entertainer for each 4-6 townhouses. Also, have luxury shops nearby, as well as common shops. You'll need a small group of servant houses as well. Not too many a good 4-6 for starters. Nobles and luxury shops use them. Nobles like to worship the god Horus, so a shrine or temple would be a good idea. Don't forget to build a bakery somewhere in the area too. Nobles also like to have a family tomb. But a working mortuary without a tomb available will be okay for a while. Soon as you can get those traders coming to your city. Those are the small icons of a man and a donkey (onager) on the global map.

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:20 pm

I understand your dilemma with bricks,after all they are vital in building a lasting legacy and they should be given high priority straight away.Early on I will build 10 brickmakers,and increase this to 20 in the latter stages during extensive work on burial grounds etc.Below are a few tips that may help you in getting those bricks.
- First,make sure they are located as close to the floodplains as possible,this area normally contains high levels of reeds and clay,both needed for bricks.This sector will usually also be detached from the main city so make sure this area develops into a self sustaining colony with all the usual support buildings,bakeries,hospital,religious access etc.
- Also,providing this sector with an exchange may speed up the process even further as they will then be able to get their resources for making bricks from there instead of trekking around the map to find them.

A note about bricklayers also: make sure you have enough bricklayers in the city to actually lay the bricks once they are made.I will usually attach 5 to each sector in my city,with a further 10 between the palace and necropolis,both areas see a lot of activity in my cities.

Hope this helps.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:54 pm

"Hatshepsut" wrote:(please excuse my English, Germany is still on holidays ;) )

Falls du Verständnisprobleme hast, hier lesen auch Deutsche mit, also poste einfach ins entsprechende Forum unten, ich guck ab und zu nach ;)

Hatshepsut

Postby Hatshepsut » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:39 pm

"sakasiru" wrote:Falls du Verständnisprobleme hast, hier lesen auch Deutsche mit, also poste einfach ins entsprechende Forum unten, ich guck ab und zu nach ;)

Sehr nett, danke :) Wobei es keine schlechte Methode ist, Gelerntes auch mal anzuwenden- verstehen ist kein Problem, ich bin nur bemüht wenige Fehler zu machen^^

@ Rileses I: The tip with the exchange seems helpful to me, thank you for this! I didn't consider the exchange that much before. Furthermore, I'm learning to use the brickyards more efficiently. :)

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:24 pm

"Hatshepsut" wrote:Sehr nett, danke :) Wobei es keine schlechte Methode ist, Gelerntes auch mal anzuwenden- verstehen ist kein Problem, ich bin nur bemüht wenige Fehler zu machen^^

@ Rileses I: The tip with the exchange seems helpful to me, thank you for this! I didn't consider the exchange that much before. Furthermore, I'm learning to use the brickyards more efficiently. :)

I recently learned that brickmakers or papyrus makers won't use the exchanges as previously thought,just shopkeepers,miners,and shipwrights I think were the only professions mentioned that use the exchange to get resources.
Shame really,if they DID use them then brickmaking would have been sped up considerably.If you set your industries close to the resources in the first place then you wouldnt really need an exchange.I will be taking note of that fact even more from now on :D

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:43 pm

Something that might help with brickmaking is where the clay sprites are placed by the scenariomaker. Some place many & some place few. Clay can be placed anywhere, but most scenariomakers place near the floodplain.

If you build on top of a clay sprite (roads on top of clay sprites are fine), it becomes unusable. Therefore I suggest you do your start build a few tiles away from the floodplain. You can watch where your clay gatherers go (brickmakers, pottery & sculpture shops) & place a plaza tile on top of them. This will prevent you from building on top of the clay sprites later. Keep checking for your first few years, cuz your people will find more!

Another advantage of the start game search for clay sprites, is that it slows down your building & saves villagers! :D

Then as you build your city, build toward the floodplain to fill in the space (like more farmers/common shops/brickmakers/papyrusmakers as you add nobles).

In this image, you will see clay sprites covered with plaza tiles, one to the far left, the 3 additional ones in the center & one to the far right. My start build was double row three with the bakeries & brickmakers. I later built the two double rows closer to the floodplain (first later row has the scribes & lux shops for the scribes).

Knowing where your clay is really speeds up brickmaking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:23 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Something that might help with brickmaking is where the clay sprites are placed by the scenariomaker. Some place many & some place few. Clay can be placed anywhere, but most scenariomakers place near the floodplain.

If you build on top of a clay sprite (roads on top of clay sprites are fine), it becomes unusable. Therefore I suggest you do your start build a few tiles away from the floodplain. You can watch where your clay gatherers go (brickmakers, pottery & sculpture shops) & place a plaza tile on top of them. This will prevent you from building on top of the clay sprites later. Keep checking for your first few years, cuz your people will find more!

Another advantage of the start game search for clay sprites, is that it slows down your building & saves villagers! :D

Then as you build your city, build toward the floodplain to fill in the space (like more farmers/common shops/brickmakers/papyrusmakers as you add nobles).

In this image, you will see clay sprites covered with plaza tiles, one to the far left, the 3 additional ones in the center & one to the far right. My start build was double row three with the bakeries & brickmakers. I later built the two double rows closer to the floodplain (first later row has the scribes & lux shops for the scribes).

Knowing where your clay is really speeds up brickmaking.

Thanks for the tips :)

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”