another newbie on an old game

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Damage

another newbie on an old game

Postby Damage » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:49 am

Hi all! :)

Guess im another newbie, bought this game just yesterday from a retail store here in the philippines,i think i bought a UK version of this game. Thought it was new but i think its great...im having fun playing this! very different from other city building games...hope to have more updates on this game wish the developers could expand this more :D

and by the way, i got two cd's...does the new patch enable me to play without using the cd2? coz' whenever i play this, i need to put the cd2 before i can play which in the long run would be a problem...got any tips?

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi and welcome to the wonderful banks of the Nile! :)

I'm not sure if the patch will help you with your problem (although I recommend to install it anyway), because I don't know what is on your 2nd cd. If the install is on your 1st cd and the game on the 2nd, then I'm afraid you will need it always. Why is this a problem? If you fear it will break, you can try to burn a safety copy, but they often refuse to run because of copy protection. :( Another solution is to buy the game again via download (like steam), then you won't need a cd at all.

happy gaming!

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:23 pm

If you have the boxed disc based version of the game, you will always need the disc to start the game regardless if you have the game fully patched or not.

Purchasing Alexandria on Steam will allow you play the game by logging online into steam and starting the game from there. No disc is required to start the game.

Alexandria is a addon that includes new content that is not in the original disc based game. As I recall the game must be fully patched before you can install Alexandria.

You can read all about it here: http://immortalcities.com/cotn/

You can get the latest update there as well.

Steam has the Alexandria addon on sale right now for $0.62 (US) (that's 62 cents!) This requires that you have the Steam verion of Children of the Nile enhanced edition installed.

You can get both the Steam version of Children of the Nile enhanced edition and Alexandria for $3.12 (US)!

Damage

Postby Damage » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:07 am

yeah i got the boxed version...cant get steam though...dont have a dollar account to pay for steam and the addon :( ...hope i can get through the copyright someday :) ..anyway thanks for all the info and hope my cd would last long coz' i think i wouldn't be able to get another one coz' its an old game...

Happy playing! :D

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:06 am

You can still download the current patch, if you don't have it already. Just go to the www.immortalcities.com website and grab the version 1.3 patch. It will at least get your game up to the current level even if it doesn't have the Alexandria addon.

OrangeFlame

Postby OrangeFlame » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:24 am

Just purchased this game,

13 hours played already, I've quite enjoyed it.

Although I haven't been able to construct a pyramid before I die.
But the prestige penalty seems quite small, nothing a few statues and stele won't fix.

Necroscope

Postby Necroscope » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:36 am

Usually, once I have my initial economy stabilized, before I start on anything huge I put up a mastaba or three. Then I start working towards doing the major efforts. I tried to rush a few times to see if I could put up a pyramid before Pharaoh Necroscope I bit it, and the closest I've come is two years after I's death. Maybe I'll try it again tonight.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:55 am

A pryamid will either take a long time depending on the size you select, lots of labor and overseers, and lots of limestone of both kinds. I too will start my pyramid once I have my basic city up and running stable and have increased prestige with small projects like building statues, mastabas, etc. So I can have a few overseers working at the pyramid and quarry exclusively.

I always build a mastaba as one of my first prestige projects and limit its use to Pharaoh so I don't take a huger hit to my prestige if Pharaoh dies early.

You'll want plenty of labor. On a grand pyramid I may have as many as 40 labor homes or more. (Always build them in multiples of four.....four man sledge pulling teams) I let my overseers quarry a good number of limestone blocks 50-100 at least, maybe more.

If you have to import limestone of either type build the cargo drop off area for that trade site near the pyramid ramp. Let the labor from the landings and ships haul the lime stone from the river up to the pyramid area. Otherwise your labor will have to do it and that will slow things down.

When I import limestone, I will try to open that route right away, as soon as possible and let it start building up a supply of blocks while I work on my city. Often I do this before I have any major number of labor homes built.

When the time is right, I build my labor homes, making sure they have shops, bakery, healthcare, religious access, etc. nearby and then set them loose quarrying to start. Once there is a good supply of blocks sitting outside the quarry, I send overseer to construction and the blocks should start moving in a steady stream to the pyramid. I've had as many as 16 blocks of stone moving to a pyramid at one time, but that required a lot of labor.

Return to “General Discussion”