Gods, worship, armies and food balence

Discuss anticipated or desired features here
Zelentron

Gods, worship, armies and food balence

Postby Zelentron » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Hello there. Long time fan just wanting to add in a suggestion, as I have played though TM games I have noticed iteration throughout, and one point I feel I have to bring up is the gods/deity section.

GODS AND WORSHIP

Pharaoh: worship the gods by having a festival, the people are happy, the patron god is happy, it takes a few months to plan so I don't have to do it often, and I get a message telling me there is a festival so I can make another straight away. maybe the best

Zeus: building temples to gods, mainly to do with story missions, the gods don't really get mad for not building them a temple, since you have to in order to win the mission

Emperor: while emperor did MANY good things in comparison to it's predecessor (farming, military, the gate system) a big failing I think is the hero system in the game, right after I sent off a tribute to one I watched the little month tab at the top of the screen until it changed to do it again, and considering that if you are farming a new material (copper, silk) it typically has some meaning with your mission and you cannot really be spending it to keep some heroes content with you. I felt that I had to be it so that I was not attacked rather than it was some sort of benefit

I feel it might be best to re-adopt the pharaoh system as it presents the best system, I can appease the gods, appease my citizens faith in the gods and make my people happy at the same time.

ARMIES

The emperor system (If I recall right right now, it is nearly midnight here in Aus :P ) used a method where mid-high housed citizens could be in the army, but while Zeus did this with mainly creating rabbles, Emperor allowed you to make any type providing you met the requirements, for the military for MM, I thought.

perhaps like the academy in Pharaoh, you can send you companies there to get a upgrade of some sort in exchange for some supplies.

Spearmen: peasant soldiers with long wooden spears, low to mid level housing, they could be the meat of your forces so to speak, you could upgrade them with some iron and leather perhaps and they could have some armor and a proper, iron tipped spear, allowing more health/armor and more damage

Archer: again peasant based, low to mid level housing and as an upgrade you could have them fire faster or do more damage perhaps?

foot soldier: mid to high level non-noble housing, these guys wear some mail are your armored ground troups, they could carry a mace or sword around and although would use more resources to produce and not as expendable as the spear men they can hold their own.

knights: the noble houses would allow you these guys, mounted and in plate these guys are something to not be trifled with , they do however come with their costs.

FOOD BALANCE

this one may seem a bit dumb but I think that bazaar/market collectors (who get the goods from the storage yard/granary should be able to go far on the map in order to get their goods, balancing multiple districts was a pain for me as just as the new crop was about to come in, all my houses would run our of food and there would be this mass exodus from my city and then I would have to shift labor to get some deliverymen out there and then the people would come back, perhaps that is just me as a bad player, but I would like to know of anything could be done to help even out multiple food supplies throughout a city

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:19 pm

regarding religion, I liked the system in CotN best. The gods did not intervene directly, and worship was for making the citizens happy, not the gods. Festivals raised the mood, and the ability to worship in temples and shrines diminished the negative effects from fears of missed harvests, or illnesses, which otherwise would have negatively affected the city.

Personally, I wouldn't like to have gods in MM that walk on earth and/or interfere with the world. It was okay in Zeus, where it had some grunding in Greek mythology that the gods interact directly with mortals, but I don't think it is fitting for a Christian civilisation, where wonders are sparse and more subtle, if any. As far as I understand, MM will have a similar approach as CotN, where religion is there to please, encourage or solace the citizens, not the deities (christian or pagan).

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:51 pm

Remember the game is set in the period taking place at the end of the "Dark Ages" and many people were still pagan at that time. I believe there was mention of possible monasteries, but there hasn't been much more than that so far.

The articles written by TM, which are linked on the MM home page, address some of the points mentioned in this thread.

Zelentron

Postby Zelentron » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:47 am

"sakasiru" wrote:regarding religion, I liked the system in CotN best. The gods did not intervene directly, and worship was for making the citizens happy, not the gods. Festivals raised the mood, and the ability to worship in temples and shrines diminished the negative effects from fears of missed harvests, or illnesses, which otherwise would have negatively affected the city.

Personally, I wouldn't like to have gods in MM that walk on earth and/or interfere with the world. It was okay in Zeus, where it had some grunding in Greek mythology that the gods interact directly with mortals, but I don't think it is fitting for a Christian civilisation, where wonders are sparse and more subtle, if any. As far as I understand, MM will have a similar approach as CotN, where religion is there to please, encourage or solace the citizens, not the deities (christian or pagan).

To be honest I did not play children of the nile, but from what you are saying it seems this would be the best option

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”