CotN keeps crashing NOT solved

For any technical or performance issues
Jytte

Re: CotN keeps crashing NOT solved

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:39 pm

RjG,

Yes, I'm aware of the game bar and functions. Have no need of it. It is all off.

Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:43 pm

Jytte,

Same here. I will never use it.

RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:44 pm

Since I know that I DON'T know that much about what goes on in Windows, I spend time researching each item before I decide to turn it off or on, unless I'm very familiar with it.

The one that galls me the most is the 'let windows decide what's best for your computer' somewhere in system settings.... Excuse me?
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:51 pm

What ever happened to the good old days, when you got yourself a computer to YOUR specs, with ONLY the things you wanted and needed, nothing more?
Now you can't get a PC without a million pieces of crap, that I don't want, already installed on it, and every time you get an update, some of the same crap you already deleted, or turned off, is yet again installed or turned on. Drives me nuts.
Privacy? HA, it's more like 'how we invade your privacy, and hide it in such a way it's damn near impossible for you to turn it off'.
99% of Windows 10 I have absolutely NO use for.
Give me a PC that will go on the internet, end of story. I'll deal with the rest myself.
Hmpf.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Some times I long for the 80's where the computers we got in the office (I used to the IT believe it or not) was a little metal box with a battery and a 5MB drive in it, that was it.
Everything you did was in dos. Reboot took exactly 1 second. Graphics ranged between non-existent and horrible.
Ah, those were the days :lol:
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:14 pm

Hi Jytte,

I hear you. Today we have no privacy. I have never purchased a brand name computer from any outlet store. They come preinstall with all kinds of stuff I will never need. I just buy all the parts and build my own.

I have not given up on your issue. Maybe one of these days the lightbulb will light up.

The part I still don’t understand is when I read what has been written on this issue, I can only come to one logical conclusion.

RJG wrote,
So you are saying you have loaded your version of COTN on other computers and are having the same exact problem. Is this correct? Yes…No.
Now let me ask you this, when loading these other computers are you loading just a clean install of COTN and nothing more, like custom maps, mods, sounds, etc.? In other words just the default game and nothing more? Yes...No.

Jytte wrote,
I installed CotN fresh on each of the computers, yes.
Nothing was added, no personal files used, only what installs with CotN.
I started out testing a new setup, and different existing scn, ended up just using Abu for simplicity's sake. Everything ends the same.

My conclusion on the above is how could it not be in the game itself? I know we went over all of this before with the Steam install doing the same, but this still is not logical in my mind because my Steam version and Atatnall's does not have this problem.

If another computer that has never seen COTN has its first install ever of the GOG version with NOTHING more being added as you say, how could it not be something in the game itself causing this crash?

I just might buy the GOG version to test this…LOL

Have a nice day…RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi RjG,

I would love nothing better than have someone test an install of Gog version on a computer on Win 10 updated.
Unfortunately I don't know of any that could care less if they had CotN or not, and had a computer for it.
Plus, that person would need to know a bit about CotN to run a test on it, that's a bit of a conundrum.

If you want to try an install, I can give/send/link you my file (It's only for testing, and we both paid for it already).

And again, I installed steam, and ran the tests, several times, still crashing. That would negate it being the Gog file.

I feel like you it HAD to be the file, but it can't be.
Then it HAS to be something on my PC (I actually wish it were by now), but it does the same thing on 3 other PCs.

Is it me? Is it my house? None of it makes sense.

Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:28 pm

I would happily buy it again, if any other version was available, and try to install from a box version disk or something. But only ones available are from Gog and Steam, and I tried those.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:31 pm

I've even thought of wiping my E drive (I have a complete copy on an extern drive), it would take a while but all the same.
But, what ever is on that drive, would NOT be on any of the other PCs, so what's the use of that?
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:35 pm

If this was the first time I installed it, I could understand (and I wouldn't already be hooked, so would just chuck it)...
But it ran for over 3 years! Until it didn't. What's new?
If Windows 10 will 'run an old game installed already' but 'not accept a new install', well in that case I should've been able to run it on the old XP at least.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:37 pm

Hi Jytte,

I was hoping someone with the GOG version would see all these post and offer to test your issue on their Gog setup. No luck so far.

I have many computers here with a fresh install of windows 10 Pro and nothing more. I have no problem buying this game from GOG. It is under ten dollars. It will give me a chance to see if maybe I want to buy from them in the future and I would love to test their build of the game anyway. I never liked Steam and still don’t.

At the moment I am busy doing many other things but when I get time, I will do the test.

Take care……RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:54 pm

RjG,
sounds good :)
Thanks, Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:56 pm

RjG,
btw, Gog has Galaxy, which I assume is similar to Steam, but games (at least CotN) are available as 'standalone', offline download it's called. That's what I got.
Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:10 pm

Meanwhile, I created the full world level, only with the 2 sites that are supposed to sit in 'the hole' placed way out in the desert. That all works fine.
Imported that world level into a finished map (landscaped). This file is then going to Atatnall, who will move the 2 sites to their rightful positions.
After getting the new file back, I will see if it's possible to work with that file (without touching the world level at all) and finish up.
I actually don't think that'll work, but we're gonna try anyway.

Alternatively I can simply finish my scenario with those 2 sites in a 'really wrong place'. That should be no problem. And, where these sites sit on the world map is basically only cosmetics. They can then be moved into position on the finished scenario, that I won't edit any more, before release.

All assuming I haven't found the problem in the meantime.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:49 pm

Hi Jytte,

Well this is what I did after buying the game from GOG.

First I installed the game on a lower end, fresh installed, Windows 10 system with no other software of any kind ever loaded. I then rebooted the system before testing the game. On the launch the game start was what I would call normal in speed to my Steam version. Remember this is a lower end machine. We are talking basic everything here. I then followed exactly what you did and did not have any problems whatsoever. I then tried moving everything around on the map like a mad man, still no problems. I saved the game at many different points, naming it different things and it still hasn’t missed a beat. I even put every city on 365-370, not one issue. I tried everything I could to crash it and failed to do so.

Next I tried the game on another system very close to my game system in specs. I would call this system a high end system. This system also has a ton of software loaded on it but it has never had COTN installed beforehand. I then started the game and it fired up really fast. I did the same exact things I did with the basic system and did not have one issue.

For my final test, I uninstalled the steam version of the game off of my daily system, installed the GOG version and went through the same procedures as the other two. Not one problem.

All I can think of at this point in time, going by what you have posted, is maybe you have a memory chip that is going bad. Find a friend or a relative with a computer and see if it does that on theirs

I like the GOG version and it seems to run the same as the steam version.

You take care….Off for the night.....RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:13 pm

HI RjG,

Thanks a lot for testing. I think you'll like the standalone Gog version :)

Well, that settles it then, nothing wrong with that software. Whatever it is is localized to me. (What did I ever do??)

Tja, memory chip bad, does not answer the question of the other PC's though.

I know for sure, that one of the other installs I did was from the old CD I'd made back in Aug. 2015, on my old XP. Has just been sitting there for years. Was not used to install to my new PC eithere, as I did that from a large extern drive.
The others I believe I tried the new downloaded file, to my PC, then to a stick.
At least with one of them, there's no way a problem could 'transfer' from my PC to another (beside the fact I've scanned both entire PC and those files extensively).
I cannot think of something that all 4 could have a problem with (apart from me).. Plus I clean booted for a test as well.

Tomorrow I think I'll try to download the file directly from GOG to my husbands PC, and install and see what happens. Laptop not back yet.

Thanks again, Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:44 pm

Hy Jytte,

Yes, the GOG version of COTN is nice and I like that it runs without Steam. I am going to use it exclusively when playing COTN. One of the things I do like about Steam is, they do update all their games as updates and fixes are released. I am not sure what GOG does or how they get these updates to you. I did notice before downloading the game from GOG that they say, “Please be advised that Windows 10 operating system will receive frequent hardware driver and software updates following its release; this may affect game compatibility”

This is the way I see your issue at this point in time, assuming that I understand your issue correctly by reading what you have posted.

1. It is not the GOG version with the problem and the issue is localized to you. We have established that. Now I suppose the download you are installing could have been corrupted on the download but being you say you downloaded numerous times, I find this unlikely. Also, corrupt downloads pretty much when away when the modem went away.

2. The crash you are getting is recorded in the event viewer under applications showing us that the executable is having an issue with something and the system is not. Unfortunately it does not give us enough information to pin point the issue.

3. For comparison, my download of the game is named, setup_children_of_the_nile_2.0.0.4.exe. The size of this download is 630,995 KB. Looking at the Windows general tab under properties for this file, it is Version 2.0.0.4. - Size- 616 MB (646,138,672 bytes) - Size on Disk- 616 MB (646,144,000 bytes). Also under the general tab, near the bottom, there is a sentence “this file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer” next to that it has a check box where you can unblock it. While I have seen this with some EXE downloads, you don’t see it a lot. I have never had to put a checkmark there but I suppose it wouldn’t hurt.

4. To sum this up we have pretty much proved this issue is localized to you and unfortunately, it could be a million different things causing this. We know it is not the game itself. Could other software be somehow causing the issue? Could it be hardware related? Could it be different mods or maps or sound files you created somehow effecting the game in some weird way and we could go on and on.

Being you say that all your computers are having the same issue with the game tells me they all have something in common causing this. How could they not after we proved it is not the GOG version? Try to find that and you found your problem.

Sorry Jytte, I wish we could have pin pointed the issue. Keep us up to date as to what you may discover.

RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi RjG,

Now, this is interesting.
3)comparison... all the same until the Size on Disk,
mine is different: 616 MB (646.139.904 bytes)
And, I do not have the 'this file came from another computer..', nor do I have a checkbox. Might that be because you downloaded it directly, and the one I have is copied in from extern drive? (The direct download I had is long deleted in the processes of uninstalls etc, that file was put on a stick.) Or, my settings for app warnings are different, because I'm sick of the nag screens every time I click a file? I also don't recall having ever seen that on any file.

Meanwhile, I'm happily trucking on with my scenario. I decided not to do the in-between-test. I'm working with my new world level with the forts in the 'really wrong place', and everything runs smoothly. Adding a ton of message effects and so forth. I will continue to finish this scenario (I need to get it done while I can still remember what I did and why when i wrote it). When it's all done and tested, I will decide what to do about those forts (if I haven't found the problem before then.)

I'm sure you are right, something common for the PC's in this house is causing this. Odd though, because it must be fairly new, and that is puzzling re. the old PC. At least I know now that it's localized to 'a hole' in world level (??!), and as long as I stay away from that I'm fine.

CotN is the only game I have, and it won't ever be updated, so I don't need the functions of neither Galaxy nor Steam. Good for me ;)

I'm really grateful for your help with this, at least we narrowed the problem. Plus this is valuable information you provided to possible new users.

It's interesting though, going through so many posts on various forums, Gog as well as Steam, I saw quite a lot of people unable to get it to run on their Win 10. Saw some rather elaborate fixes with compatibility settings etc (This within the last half year) and some eventually giving up on it.
Apart from one needing to have DirectX 9.0c installed (happens automatically with Steam, not with GOG), it runs just fine without any special adjustments of any kind, on ALL the PCs I've done and on yours too as I understand. Leaving me to hope that we can enjoy this game for a long time to come :)

I will most certainly update this post as I continue working on this odd thing. Who knows, I might not be the only one ever to encounter this.

Thanks, Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:37 pm

Hi Jytte,

The file size “on disk” can vary from disk to disk. As long as your version number is the same and that size is the same, you are ok. Now with that in mind, nothing tells us if that file is corrupt or not. Being you have said at times that you have had issues with the install, it could be an indication something is wrong with that file.

For what it is worth, for me to buy the GOG game I had to create an account with them. If I sign in and go to my account, they show what games I have purchased. If I select the game it opens another window that has the download link. I am not sure with your purchase if you had to open an account and your link may still be there. If not, I would think if you were to write customer service they could give you that link again knowing you did purchase the game.

As far as the warning that the EXE came from another computer, this has to do with you and I having different security settings. It is not an issue if you don’t have that.

I hope someday this gets resolved. RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi RjG,

I may not have been clear on this (oh so many posts), but the installation problem was only on my PC, and that was a clear user-error. In the panic, I forgot that I did not have DirectX 9.0c on my PC any longer. And it installed fine too, just wouldn't run, obviously.

Yes, I have an account too, with my lonely CotN on it. That's where I went, the now several times I downloaded it again.

The Gog-support is pretty useless, in as far as they offer no other advice than they already have on their website (quite a lot), and the individual doesn't even know the game in question. Not that I would blame them on this one. But, he did try to offer advice, so I was fine with those emails until the last one...
This is a direct quote from that email (I had mentioned that I had tried to install the game on my husbands computer as well as others):
At some stage it would be probably a good idea to reinstall the whole computer completely. Perhaps your husband could help with this?

Oh boy, now I'm NOT one of those 'we are all equal, and God help you if you hold the door for me' people, far from it in fact... but THAT got my hackles up! WAY up! The poor fellow is lucky that this was in a private email, and he only has to deal with me (who turned from the relatively nice and polite lady I usually am, into a foaming-at-the mouth pit bull in an instance), had this been in a public space like on their site, half the internet would be on his case by now. My dear kind husband, who is incredibly smart in many areas, and whos computer savvy stretches to yelling 'honey, there's something wrong with my computer' if a window pops up, giggled when he heard the spewing coming from my office.

Oh, I just had to air that one, I feel better now :lol:

My scenario is coming along just fine, expect I'll begin testing it tomorrow. So far no other unexpected happenings. As soon as that is done and out of the way, and when I get my laptop back (cable broke), I'll be searching for answers some more.

Thanks, Jytte
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Return to “Technical Support”