Phantom messages

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
sakasiru

Phantom messages

Postby sakasiru » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:36 pm

Help!

At the first triggered message, other messages show up also that should be triggered some time later in my scenario. I think this is due to not completely erased data after a change, but since these messages are very plot revealing, they cause a problem.

I tried to play the scenario on a different pc hoping that these messages are just stuck in my game, but they show up in a completely fresh installation, too. :(

Is there any way to get rid of them? Otherwise, I´d have to completely rewrite the scenario including drawing the map, since I have no prior save. :eek:

Takana

Postby Takana » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:26 pm

As Sakasiru asked me to help with the disturbing remains of deleted triggers,
I like to ask the comminity here, before I do the painful start from the scratch:

Has anyone of the modders of this community tried to do some reengineering of the scenario file format and would share some of his/her insights?

(Perhaps even someone of TM ;) )

Many thanks in advance

Takana

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:41 am

I have had premature firing of triggers. If I remember, they were condition related. I solved the problem by making a new (different) condition for the premature fired triggers.

May not help, but you got my two breads. :cool:

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:49 am

I made the mistake and deleted some triggers. :( Now these deleted triggers seem to still do something, and I can't change them anymore :eek:

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:01 pm

I posted a thread on a similar topic a few years ago called Phantom Messages also. I got some fairly indepth help in that.

Unfortunately, the solution I came up with was to go back to an earlier save. No earlier saves?! Take Matt's advice and place a sticky note on your monitor that says "Save Often" and then do.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:51 pm

whew, I just found a pre-bug savegame :o

Now I "only" have to rewrite the triggers :rolleyes:

Release date is cancelled due to unrestrained celebration :D And a lot of work, of course...

Karter

Postby Karter » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:39 am

"sakasiru" wrote:Help!

At the first triggered message, other messages show up also that should be triggered some time later in my scenario. I think this is due to not completely erased data after a change, but since these messages are very plot revealing, they cause a problem.

I tried to play the scenario on a different pc hoping that these messages are just stuck in my game, but they show up in a completely fresh installation, too. :(

Is there any way to get rid of them? Otherwise, I´d have to completely rewrite the scenario including drawing the map, since I have no prior save. :eek:

In my many years of using the editor
I have always had problems with the very first entry, I think that it has to do with the way the editor initializes it's arrays()

So, to try and clean this up I usually make some bogus entry that does nothing, save it off and reopen leaving it there and then start scripting, making certain not to delete that initial entry key

it seems to help

:)

Return to “Editing”