A testing opportunity

General Insider discussion
JuliaSet

A testing opportunity

Postby JuliaSet » Sun May 23, 2010 3:59 pm

Please contact me if you have the time, interest and the computer to test Civilization 5.

It takes a pretty hefty computer to play it, but it is a nice game with both builder and war features. To read more about the game:
http://civ4.civplayers.com/forum

I am running an old dual core machine with an ATI 5750. If you have that much or better computer, please contact me at.

gloriacarson@bellsouth.net

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:33 am

Interest, but not computer or time. :(

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:46 pm

It seems many of the testers have become distracted... I'd be visiting TM forums more often but for Tinks. I heard from quite a few of you that you have the same view. He is good for the newbs, but tends to get rid of the old timers so he retains the top dog position. Ah... life is crazy.

I'm in the deep end of the elder care pool. Dad is living with me now and is quite a handful. Auntie is ambulatory, but loosing her vision. She's not as sensible as before. Dad's cognition is flaky, but at least I can talk to him.

Anyway, will there be a life for me, one of my own when I no longer have eldercare duties?

Sign me .. needing respite care.

Oh.. if you are interested in doing some beta work for Firaxis on an xpack for c5, please let me know. Arcan tested civ 5 with me. It was nice to keep up on a regular basis and having something in common to do.

Gloria/JuliaSet/Nolan

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:26 pm

I'm still here to make mods for SCS. Other than that TM seems pretty much nonexistent.

Jaguar

Postby Jaguar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:41 pm

I have to be honest, haven't been checking TM at all lately. Just thought I would pop in to see what's been happening.

I'm spending too much time on Warcraft, especially with the expansion on the horizon to do much testing of any kind right now... But if something comes up in the new year, contact me through FB, Gloria!

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi Ren,

Ed Beech/Gobi Bear is in charge of the xpack/updates now, so your experience with him might get you in. Do you have a Steam account? Send me an email

gloriacarson@bellsouth.net

with your computer specs. Do you have civ 5 already? I'm not sure they will give the base c5 game for someone to test for the xpack. It is probably less trouble for them to enable someone who already has the base game.

Hugs.. stay warm.

Skype nick for me is gloria.carson2
I'm on facebook too, but there are several gloria carsons. Im the blonde one holding a baby

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Wow that message is an antique. Everything is much the same here.. just very busy with family, their and my health issues, playing eveonline.. (send me a message if you want a free trial on that game) and in getting well enough to plan a May trip to see slcha in London and arcan in France.

With some luck we will see the egyptian exhibits in London, Paris and Tourin. Ive met slcha, but will get to meet arcan for the first time. We have kept in touch on skype and in the civilization testing platform.

Hugs and great new year to all. Will keep praying my sister can take over elder care so I can travel, or find someone local to give me a rest.
Gloria/JuliaSet

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:15 am

Long time no read, Gloria!

Still lurking here also.

Back at university working on a PhD also. :)

Miut

Postby Miut » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:31 am

Just popped in to say Hi to all my old buddies. :)
Been at college last 2 years studying like mad. Just finished and now frantically job hunting.

Been playing a variety of games recently, but nothing specific for any real length of time - got out of the habit with studying!

Anyway, just saying HI!

BrazNomar

Postby BrazNomar » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:58 am

Neat, people studying more and more. I'm hoping I can find something that sparks that much interest for myself. Working as statistician has been an overall nice experience though, but a "reboot time" was in order to arrange ideas better. Being a freelance consultant for now.

Gamewise, been playing a bit limited, PC is awful right now. Last entries were a bit of Anno 2070, Tobing's RechenMonster and Villages&Cities, Altitude, Terraria... and my first 30 hours of Children of the Nile. Yeah, had never played it. ^^"

A Wide Hello to old Tilted buds!

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi Braz,

Ive had a wonderful time since I last wrote in here. After many years without a day off from elder care, I had my trip to London and France.

Slcha, Sasha hosted me in London... She walked me all over the place and got me in condition for the hiking we did in Paris, a truly wide spread city seen and felt best on foot.

We went to the British museum, Hampton Palace, Grenwich.. all over London by tube and water taxi. I managed everything but the stairs in the tube. Sasha was really keen to find us an elevator, so as to save my legs for the rest of the journey. Since it was the start of May, it was a bit overcast and rainy, but Oh how I love London and to visit with Sasha. She is an awesome friend. I can't remember laughing as hard as we all did last May.

We went to Paris via the chunnel, where I'd rented an apartment for five days. Arcan met us at the station and helped us find it. We had a nice flat that gave us each a bit of privacy, two loos, small kitchen, etc and not too far from the Louvre. Arcan seemed to delight in seeing how much walking he could get out of me. Needless to say that caring for elders, doing lots of computer things had left me with little stamina and walkability. We saw the usual tourist things in Paris. Louvre, Versailles, Notre Dame and my favorite, the Sant Chapelle.. which was a jewel.

We sat at out door cafes, enjoyed each others company completely. Its not that often that you find folks who get along so well. Arcan, my handsome friend, was an absolute joy and a totally focussed tour guide and translator. I could not have had such a wonderful experience without slcha and Arcan. We would bring back to the apartment some bread, wine, pastry, and of course cheese! I miss that lovely time.. sharing and rehashing the day's adventure... After five days in Paris it was time to travel south.

He'd parked his car with a friend in Paris, and took us south to the Burgundy area. On the way to his house we stopped to see Vaux-le Vicomte, the predecessor of Versailles. It was built by a courtier who enraged Louis with jealousy. Louis took the beautiful chateau and then set off to make Versailles his special creation.

We went shopping in a supermart... Aw, guys, if you are Americans picture the cheese selection area.. it was twice the size of our veg area in US markets.. Easily twice. I could have eaten it all, but easily got confused as there was so much selection.

We walked the cobbled streets, explored the ancient towns, villages and monestaries. saw Lyon, took the tramway to Basilica Nortre Dame de Fourvirere, overlooking the city of Lyon. We saw the two Roman theatres built near it.... then walked down to the city and saw the sights.. ate at a lovely cafe.. watched the people pass by as we ate.

The next day we went to the vinyards, Cluny and its remains.. a lovely lunch.. taking small roads through the hills, seeing tiny ancient chapels with old painted walls.

All this was magnified joy having such wonderful companions. I laughed till my face ached. slcha returned to London and arcan took me to the French alps near Turin to meet his family. Aw... It was Heidi time for me!

It was cool and windy in the Hanibal pass, but we took an afternoo trip to see the Egyptian Museum in Turin. I never saw so many school kids in my life... nor so many Egyptian relics!

We returned through the snow edged road back to Lanslebourg, where we stayed for a few days. We saw the tiny mountain chapels, where monks and abbots would come for rest. We were at the foot of two ski lifts, so I can visualize the fun one would have in the winter. The roads were freshly opened as the passes were clear. Contact arcan if you'd like to stay there.. his family has a chalet with several apartments for rent.

Arcan's family was awesome! I felt tucked in comfort and love... Ate bread and cheese, had fondue, great wine, magnificent meals.. the comfort of real family life in France. All of my elder care worries were forgotten (Id hired a friend of the family to stay at my house for the month) All there was was the lovely friends, a tiny mountain village, my kindle full of books. my own apartment downstairs. ( I came up for company and meals)

Five days later we returned to Arcan's house where he gardened and I rested with my kindle, enjoyed the sunshine and reading. It was Cherry season, so there was a lot of morning cherry picking/eating.

Aw, I want to thank slcha and arcan and his family for the awesome welcome, fun and the time we had together. I have lots and lots more in my tour diary, but will spare you so many words.

ps, if you need to use De Gaulle airport, plan twice the time as you WILL get lost there.
Last edited by JuliaSet on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhilL

Postby PhilL » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Sounds like you had a great relaxing time Julia You deserve it. Hope we all have reason to be here a lot more again

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Me too Phil,

CBC is still running contests, but our rate of contests has slowed to match the number of competitors. A new game ... even some gossip of it would bring folks back.. sharpening their skills, maybe even participating in new contests for other games while they wait. I still miss the quality people in here. Haven't posted in regular forums in a while. Don't have energy to deal with tinks if hes still around. LOL. All is good anyway. I have quality time to give, and battling in forums about trivia and insults is not my kind of thing.

Civilization is between itterations so i have a LOT of spare time to give.

Gloria/JuliaSet

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Nice to see familiar names pop in. :)

Something seems to be going on with the 'Mill but nothing clear yet. Of course, they could also just be really bored and are in the middle of reading Chaucer. ;)

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:20 am

I hope they let us in on it!

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:53 am

It would be great

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:50 am

OK TM. Here we are now. Entertain us. :cool:

BrazNomar

Postby BrazNomar » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Alive! It's alive!! Baahahahahahahahahaha

Edit: just now got to read Julia's post, so inspiring, such a nice adventure! Breathing new airs, meeting new people and lifestyle, that's sure to be what we're here for. Well done, miss!
Last edited by BrazNomar on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyjenks

Postby tyjenks » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:11 am

That is nice to hear Julia!

I have been gone since 2009 it would seem, but am so happy Tilted Mill is ramping back up. As a staunch supporter of Hinterland, I think it was simply an idea ahead of its time. Indie house made up of talented individuals from larger developers that want to make a fun game, on a smaller scale for a more affordable price. If Hinterland was released today through Desura or a similar outlet and developed partially with pre-orders granting Beta access, it would have been even more awesomer (yeah, I am making that a word) than it was. Every time the game is mentioned on any forum I jump up and say, "hinterland was superb and anyone who thinks differently is going to get punched". OK, maybe I don't put in that last part.

Hinterland and TM is why I caved and installed Steam and a few years later have more games than I can possibly play and paid far less than I would have imagined for them.

You guys have my money for Medieval Mayor no matter what.

Good to see you all!

-Tyler

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Good to see everyone popping in. There are some real quality folks I've met through working betas for Chris Beatrice and co. The first ones I met here were arcan and slcha.

I tried to see vic, but we had crazy and limited schedules at the time. Rome or India for the next trip.. Anyone game for a world exploration ? Im still holding out for an India CB.. have done a lot of research for one, lots of ideas, photos, history.. would be a colorful CB. And, it would be great for a new market via Steam. If I get to go to India, I'd try to get a lot of photos of anything before the 1600s.

Return to “Insiders General”