Map Size

Discuss anticipated or desired features here
Khopesh Sidearm

Map Size

Postby Khopesh Sidearm » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:51 am

I don't know about you all, but I love big map to work with. You have more options as to where to put your city, and you can go big or stay small. Little maps, where even a modest city comes up close to the map edge, make me feel claustrophobic.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:54 am

I agree, I dislike cramped maps, true they make game more challenging, but it is unnatural: people founding villages chose the best positions, both on a strategic and building point of view.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:21 pm

The only problem with big maps is that not every computer is going to be able to handle them. Some of the larger maps in Children of the Nile gave certain computers problems.

Large maps in individual scenarios are probably okay, because you can skip those if your computer can't digest them. However, having a map that is too big to handle in the middle of a campaign game could prevent the player from completing the game successfully.

As always they have to produce a game that can run successfully on the largest majority of computers currently on the market to ensure a wide base of user support.

Otherwise I have no problems with large maps as long as they are thoroughly tested on a wide range of computers beforehand to ensure that they will run.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:56 pm

True, but many maps, for example in C IV are really cramped, while other you can build well. In comparison most of teh CotN maps are adequate.

"Keith" wrote:The only problem with big maps is that not every computer is going to be able to handle them. Some of the larger maps in Children of the Nile gave certain computers problems.

Large maps in individual scenarios are probably okay, because you can skip those if your computer can't digest them. However, having a map that is too big to handle in the middle of a campaign game could prevent the player from completing the game successfully.

As always they have to produce a game that can run successfully on the largest majority of computers currently on the market to ensure a wide base of user support.

Otherwise I have no problems with large maps as long as they are thoroughly tested on a wide range of computers beforehand to ensure that they will run.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:16 pm

Yes, but small maps present a challenge to build efficiently and not waste space. So small maps have merits too.

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:46 pm

I propose: all map sizes (small, med, large) so everyone is happy! Not too unreasonable right? If large maps can't be handled well on slower systems, that is according to if they meet the recommended specs for the game or not. Perhaps notify users based off autodetect that if their specs fall below that at the side of large map select "warning: not recommended based on your system's performance" or at least when hovering over the map select it points out that a more powerful computer is required for larger maps.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:10 am

Small maps can be challenging.

Super huge maps can be a problem for some PC users and for tablets I guess. But PC hardware has come a long way since Caesar IV came out. It would be nice for the option of huge maps to be in the game, at least for PC maybe not in the main campaign, but for custom scenarios if people want to use them.

Huge maps could create a different challenge. Water source on one corner of the map important resource on the far side of the map long transport in between.

Caesar Clifford

Postby Caesar Clifford » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:10 am

All the other CB games have different size maps - there is no reason to expect that this one won't have that feature. At different times and in different scenarios giant and tiny maps equally have their charm.

JaAchan daVariso

Postby JaAchan daVariso » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:19 am

"Keith" wrote:The only problem with big maps is that not every computer is going to be able to handle them.

To me, having large maps is essential to the game. Yeah, you can get a city of 100,000 citizens by putting 5,000 people in a house, but then you're not really designing a city of 100,000 anymore. One of the challenges is to get each neighbourhood as good coverage as you can get. If the engine is too heavy to have large maps, then the engine, IMHO, has to give way.

"Keith" wrote:Yes, but small maps present a challenge to build efficiently and not waste space. So small maps have merits too.

Nobody is saying that small maps are bad. Having a tiny region in the mountains to build a city can be a huge challenge. This is about the other end of the spectrum, about the challenge that large cities bring. And that's something that I, for one, would like to see included.

Return to “Gameplay Suggestions”