Space sim

Off-topic discussions about everything else
Babbens

Space sim

Postby Babbens » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:35 pm

If you, like me, have been waiting for a Wing Commander and Freelancer successor, here it is:
Star Citizen, hopefully out by 2015.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:41 pm

The $80 price tag gives me pause.

I started to buck at prices once they went over $50. Now I'm looking at games that run twice as much as that and some three times as much as that.

I'm already considering just two other games that would cost me nearly $300 combined.

I know things are more expensive than the "olden days", but still, $80 for a game isn't cheap.

Babbens

Postby Babbens » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:48 pm

I must have missed that 80$ price tag, the game is not for sale yet that I'm aware of.

At the moment only pledge packages that include a digital download (and some other goodies depending on the package) seem to be avalaible, starting from 30 to 140$.

The credentials of the man behind the project is what convinces me most.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:31 pm

I tried to find where I saw $80 shown. I couldn't find it this time. I might have been mistaken about what that $80 entails.

From the looks of things you have to buy not only the game but the ship and rank you want to start with along with what side you are affiliated with with real money. It looks like this game can nickel and dime you to death by offering better ships and weapons if you only just pay that extra $10 or $25, etc. It's like you don't really buy the game at all and it's a constant drain on the wallet the longer you play and the more you want to upgrade.

I could be wrong about all this, because I didn't feel like wending my way through their website to get all the information, but that's the general impression I got from just looking around.

I've been looking at the Auran "Trainz" simulator for years now, but the biggest turn-off for me is that if you want certain locomotives or different railroad markings, etc. you have to buy them. So I've never bought the program as a result.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:00 pm

The game is not yet released yet. It appears that the different payment categories are to "reserve" features once it is released. The starting price is $30 but the highest is $145. Each "package" has a certain amount of "Game Credits," which sounds very much like the in-game currency common in freemium games that could either be very difficult to accumulate within the game or purchased with actual money. On the one hand, it's a means for the developer to raise funds for the game project but on the other hand it also suggests that you'd have to buy access to more features.

Babbens

Postby Babbens » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:21 am

Yes, that point had many worried, me included and rightly so.
There is currently a debate about those packages being a type of "pay to win" thing.
But after careful reading and discussing, I'm now convinced that it is not, at least not in the common sense:

those pledge packages are only part of a crowdfunding campaign, and all what you can get through them now will also be available later in-game by game credits.
It's not like you can buy things now that won't be available later unless you shell out the cash, which would then really be PtW imo.
Another point being debated is LTI (life time insurance) that now comes with the purchased ships. But Insurance will also be available in-game for normal game credits.

Of course getting a package now gives you an edge, compared to the player that will buy the game off the shelf, but it's no overkill.
You can now buy a ship that everybody can get later in-game after a given amount of hours and credits.
Besides, the ships and stuff available now in the packages are only a small part of the final content.

Anyway, the community seems quite mature and aware of this and other issues; they are being discussed and apparently the boss is listening.
I cannot believe that a man with his reputation will screw his own creation that badly.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:09 pm

"Babbens" wrote:I cannot believe that a man with his reputation will screw his own creation that badly.

That's what people thought about Peter Molyneux (Fable), Will Wright (Spore), and John Romero (Daikatana). ;)

But you're right - still too early to say how things will turn out.

Return to “The Outside World”