My one wish for this game...

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Profound

My one wish for this game...

Postby Profound » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:19 pm

Is to figure out a way to move the rear clipping plane back farther, enough so I can see my pyramid complexes.

I'm sure this was made so that people's machines wouldn't die. But now everything is so much more powerful, I'm sure they're able to handle it.

Also saving in the cloud could be nice too.

More or less, I think this game could easily be a candidate for an "HD Remaster"

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:03 pm

How far you can see is a function of the video settings in the game and how powerful your graphics card is. My previous computer went through two graphics card with good power but not enough to run the game at maximum settings. My current machine has a much more powerful graphics card than the last and all the settings are at HIGH o very near it.

The Settings > Video menu has a slider control to adjust how much depth of view you have called "Rear clipping plane (fog)", if you haven't seen it.

Even at max it may prove some what limited in results. When I started playing CotN, I had a old Radeon 9800 Pro card, then a slightly more powerful NVidia 7600 card when the ATI died. My current system is just a year old and runs a Radeon HD 7950. I have Intel Core i7 processor with 32GB (not 32MB) of system RAM. You can see my current settings below, which were automatically set when the game was installed (save for he screen resolution, which I reduced so it wasn't full screen on my monitor. I edited the config file to have it run in a "windowed" mode.)

I edited my cotn.ini to try to increase the rear clipping field distance. It was 135 and I changed it to 150, but didn't see any difference inside the game. They made some changes to the game in updates to keep people from screwing up their settings manually and crashing the game.

When I first started playing I used to edit my ini file so that I could run the game at 7x normal speed in the fast mode instead of the normal game limit. The update programmed the game to limit game speed to 2.5x normal speed no matter what the ini said. I'm sure most of the other settings in the game have the same sort of restrictions on them now.

You can see how far I had to push in to get the pyramid to appear at those settings. The map is Men-nefer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Keith on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Profound

Postby Profound » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:48 am

"Keith" wrote:How far you can see is a function of the video settings in the game and how powerful your graphics card is. My previous computer went through two graphics card with good power but not enough to run the game at maximum settings. My current machine has a much more powerful graphics card than the last and all the settings are at HIGH o very near it.

Yeah, I'm running a GTX780, and a 4770K. So no problems with graphics.

The Settings > Video menu has a slider control to adjust how much depth of view you have called "Rear clipping plane (fog)", if you haven't seen it.

Yep! I'm maxed here.

Even at max it may prove some what limited in results. When I started playing CotN, I had a old Radeon 9800 Pro card, then a slightly more powerful NVidia 7600 card when the ATI died. My current system is just a year old and runs a Radeon HD 7950. I have Intel Core i7 processor with 32GB (not 32MB) of system RAM. You can see my current settings below, which were automatically set when the game was installed (save for he screen resolution, which I reduced so it wasn't full screen on my monitor. I edited the config file to have it run in a "windowed" mode.)

The 7950's a nice card!

I edited my cotn.ini to try to increase the rear clipping field distance. It was 135 and I changed it to 150, but didn't see any difference inside the game. They made some changes to the game in updates to keep people from screwing up their settings manually and crashing the game.

This is what I did too! I think this may be the key to my query: if there is a way to undo this.

When I first started playing I used to edit my ini file so that I could run the game at 7x normal speed in the fast mode instead of the normal game limit. The update programmed the game to limit game speed to 2.5x normal speed no matter what the ini said. I'm sure most of the other settings in the game have the same sort of restrictions on them now.

What update did this change come about in? Maybe there's a secret ability to back-engineer and figure it out.

You can see how far I had to push in to get the pyramid to appear at those settings. The map is Men-nefer.[/quote]

Yeah. I have some interesting screenshots of my own! The rear clipping pane is a real downer on taking pictures, and doesn't really appear that far back.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:36 am

I believe the programming is CRC protected so any changes in the code might prevent the game from running. I seem to recall something about this in discussions from the distant past.

I think the ini changes came in with the first or second patch to the game, ver 1.1 or 1.2. The rising and setting of the sun and moon in CotN also vanished with updates. A list of what each update entailed should still be available on the official CotN website.

There is a screenshot function that will let you get a full screenshot of the entire city from a roughly 3/4-overhead position. I seem to recall SHIFT+F9 or SHIFT+F10 being hotkey for it. It's not what you are really looking for as I understand your request, but it's about all we have.

The problems of 3D programming demands a lot of system resources so any change to the good may have to wait until a larger body of gamers have more powerful graphics capability.

Unfortunately, TM's next game, the now indefinitely postponed "Medieval Mayor" was going to return to 2D graphics of the old game series. So we may have to wait quite a while before we TM release a game with greater graphic capabilities.

I rather enjoyed the 3D graphics of CotN and Caesar IV, there are some that didn't. They made for some really interesting screen shots.

Profound

Re: My one wish for this game...

Postby Profound » Tue May 28, 2019 12:13 pm

I just randomly want to post....given that it's been 5 years. Still wish there was a way to extend that rear clipping pane. I went to play the game and got frustrated when i couldn't view my entire pyramid complex.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu May 30, 2019 9:39 am

I only wish that TM would give us something new or a redo of Cotn with even better graphics than before and/or some new features. The likely-hood of that happening anytime in the foreseeable future looks rather dim.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Thu May 30, 2019 10:31 am

I'd be happy with just a few new features and maybe a few buildings etc.
A new build that will actually work for everybody who buys it, regardless of PC, would be nice as well.
Actually I'd be content with just this forum functioning again, but then, I'm easy to please.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri May 31, 2019 2:43 am

The forum remains open for all that wish to partake. I've been trying to encourage some old registered members to visit us here again. New registers remain shutdown for now. I know that is a major hurdle for those just starting out with Cotn, but it remains necessary for now.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:03 am

Still here...

Return to “General Discussion”