very big city and tiresome nobles

If you need any help, or want to discuss strategy, this is the place!
Jytte

very big city and tiresome nobles

Postby Jytte » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:20 pm

First of all, I'm using the '5 x educated mod', so I can have 175 educated workers, and I have sites to provide me with same, because there's no way the COTN school system can keep up with my demand for them. That all works well. I have now twice built a city of 48 nobles / 394 farms, with around 115 educated workers. Works very well. So I had some musings about getting to 72 nobles or so, but I have to say that I spend most of my time now (with the 115 edu) just adding priests and scribes etc etc, cuzz they die off / retire at a hefty rate. At the moment I'm on year 95, so deaths etc is to be expected, but really!

Have anyone experience with that many nobles / farms ?

And, while I'm on the subject of nobles.... WHAT is their problem? Occationally I have a whole bunch of them, like 10 or so, complaining that they can't go hunting.... all the while other nobles are out there hunting the more than generous amount of hippos, crocs and lions out there. I noticed one of my complainers was heading out to hunt in a long line of nobles (counted 7)... do they always go out in droves? Then the head noble killed a hippo, turned around and went home. There are many many hippos in that area, only feet away, but all the nobles went home without themselves 'hunting', including my complainer, still complaining. Do they set their site on a certain hippo/lion/croc or whatever, and when somebody beats them to it, they "can't hunt" ??

Also, I used to think that a ratio of 1 entertainer for every 2 nobles would suffice. Now I'm closing in on 1 to 1, they're just insatiable ! And my entertainers all work like hell, one of them has over 1500 food. You'all have this 'problem' ?
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Re: very big city and tiresome nobles

Postby Yahya » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:31 am

I'm really enjoying this post. :D

Yes, what you're observing is typical. A citizen will often complain about not being able to do one thing, when the problem is really something else. Like it took them too long to reach religion or healthcare, so they couldn't reach the hunting ground. Then they'll complain about the hunting ground.

But yes, all the citizens will track toward the same animal. If it gets killed, they can track to another, but by the time they get out there, they either have some other need or it's time to go home, so they turn around and then they'll be disappointed.

Entertainers get busy, particularly as all the basic needs are met for nobles. They start wanting things like entertainment, hunting spots, and yachts and they'll protest and move out if they don't get them.

And entertainers always end up rich in a well-functioning city, definitely. :)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:27 pm

Oh, thank you Yahya,
so good to know this is what they do, not some bug in my scenario.

Usually I don't have problems with the nobles as such, even they might complain about the hunting (for real or not) it's still minor and they generally very happy. Just once I got the 'neighbour from hell' move into my town. Suddenly this noble was standing in front of the palace screaming... All 47 other nobles were all green, but this guy was red all over, and every single complaint was bogus. I went back a save to see if I could help this guy out, tried giving him food, tried having a party and so forth, nothing would appease this pissy fellow. So went back a save again, and kicked him out. Another noble moved in, and now I've got 48 happy ones :)
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:28 pm

LOL, yeah you occasionally get someone who can't be appeased. That's by design.

You can also just wait about 20 years. He'll eventually get fed up and leave on his own. Or you can just delete his townhouse and create another one.

He'll emigrate because his house was destroyed, and a new noble will immigrate to fill the new one.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:57 pm

Some times the complaint displayed is not the actual problem. They may complain about not being able to hunt, even though there are plenty of game, but the complaint may mean that their desire to hunt is being overridden by some other task that they are attempting to carryout and it is taking a long time for that desire to be met. They could be shopping for something that isn't readily avaialble near by or at all, or they could be making long treks to temples, apothacaries, hospitals, etc. that is eating up their time before they have to give up and return home causing a lack of time to go hunting.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:40 am

I guess it's all very human really, that's why I love this game :D
Like the noble who complained about having no bread.... well, duh, you bought a yacht before you even had any household goods in the house :lol:
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”