@!*#@! *@!!!!!!!

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Jytte

@!*#@! *@!!!!!!!

Postby Jytte » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:29 pm

I was just running the last testing on my new scenario... and an event with sound that had run great in every other test was interrupted by one of those annoying 'your prestige is rising'... not only does it cut into my sound but interrupts and stops it!!!!!!!!!!
(a whole long list of words I'm not allowed to type in here)... I know damn well my prestige is rising, DON'T TELL ME EVERY FIVE SECONDS, and DON"T interrupt my events !!

Anybody know of a way to block those annoying prestige messages??? Anybody? I'm on my knees begging here.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Keith

Re: @!*#@! *@!!!!!!!

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:57 pm

There should be a box in one the Settings menus at the games main page when you start up that allows you to turn off popup messages. If the box is checked the messages are turned off. I the box is not checked the messages are on.

You can also carefully open the CotN.ini file created by the game with Windows Notepad and edit the line near the bottom of the document that says "Show popup messages 0". Zero means they are off and 1 means they are on. Be sure to only change the number. Resave the file as CotN.ini (not Cotn.ini.txt).

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:06 pm

So I, and any other player can turn that off?
Oh that is great news, thank you so much Keith, I'll get right on that.
But, I wonder, will that turn off ALL 'significant' messages? Including the scenario specific? I'll have to test that right now.

EDIT:
Tested, and it works like a charm! You are a saver Keith!
But, it turns off ALL 'significant messages' (but NOT tutorial messages, which is important in this case). I have a few 'error messages' in my scenario, but the sound that they have still plays, so the player would know to look at the bottom to see what's up.

Very Cool :)
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:01 am

Jytte wrote:So I, and any other player can turn that off?
Oh that is great news, thank you so much Keith, I'll get right on that.
But, I wonder, will that turn off ALL 'significant' messages? Including the scenario specific? I'll have to test that right now.

EDIT:
Tested, and it works like a charm! You are a saver Keith!
But, it turns off ALL 'significant messages' (but NOT tutorial messages, which is important in this case). I have a few 'error messages' in my scenario, but the sound that they have still plays, so the player would know to look at the bottom to see what's up.

Very Cool :)

All popup message will be turned off. I've never found the popups to be much help myself. I always play with them turned off.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:28 am

I installed CotN almost 3 years ago, and set all the settings as I thought they should be, without noticing the popup thing, or knowing what it might do. Then never looked at that part again, until you told me what to do about my problem.
I find the system popups extremely annoying, so mine will be turned off in the future as well. But there are many a scenario that are built around popups for guidance and messages, and for those it might present a problem. Frankly I rarely ever notice the little messages in the tray, as one is usually busy focusing on the happenings on the main screen.
Guess the thing to do is make sure there is a sound that brings attention to any messages one wants a player to read, if it is a popup. I use 'tutorial' messages for the 'story', but 'error messages' don't quite belong there.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:13 pm

I guess you could somehow add a notice in the historical story of the menu that tells the user to turn popups back on if they want guidance through the tutorial. It will be up to the player to read through the instructions before playing in that case and no on to blame but himself if he doesn't.

Return to “Editing”