custom world map

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Jytte

custom world map

Postby Jytte » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:44 pm

While I'm waiting for the next idea to hit me, I'm just trying out different things in preparation for when it (hopefully) does.

So, i thought I'd look into making a custom world map. Read the manual...
To create a custom World Map, use a picture editor (Photoshop is my personal choice) to create a
1024 x 768 map, made on a canvas of 1024 x 1024. The map picture itself should be centered and topjustified,
so that there is a black rectangle of size 1024 x 256 at the bottom. Once this is done, the
file must be converted to .dds format (look for the .dds plug-in for Adobe Photoshop, for example),
with the following options:
• Alpha, Red, Green, Blue, 8 bits per channel
• DXT3 Compression format
• Single MIP level

huh? I have no idea what half of that even is. I do my fair share of regular pics but nothing fancy really. And "1024 x 768 map, made on a canvas of 1024 x 1024"... how? and WHY?

So painstakingly read through the misc topics on this, which are in even more detail and even more complicated to read, and I don't have Photoshop, I use PaintShopPro.

Started by googling "PaintShopPro" and "alphachannel", and found a reasonably straight forward explanation. So thought I'd just try it out and see what happens.

Just made a 1024x768 pic of some ugly map. Saved that as regular jpg. Opened that up again, saved an alphachannel, saved the file as tga. Downloaded a little free software "Easy to convert tga to dds", and converted my map to a dds file. Quick, easy and painless.

Now I wanted to see what kind of disaster I had made. Copied my map into the appropriate folder and gave it wl_map_name. Opened up a training scenario I use for these kind of things. Picked my new map from the list. Looked just fine in Editor. Saved the scn. Opened it up in Play, and it looks and works just fine in there as well. Tried it in full screen mode (I have a widescreen monitor) and in windowed mode. No problem.

This was quick and uncomplicated, and it works. So what was all these complicated explanations about? and the larger canvas thing?

EDIT:
I was in the mood for experimenting, so I tried just converting the original jpg direct to dds. Works just as well. No reason for any roundabout whatsoever.

Then I tried to leave the "_1_1" out of the names, because somebody in a post mentioned that it was superfluous, well it's NOT, Editor crashes without hesitation at the bare click on a name without it :lol:
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Re: custom world map

Postby Yahya » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:43 am

I explained it that way because of an earlier explanation for how to make maps, and I found that procedure very effective.

Maybe it's too fancy. :)

Jytte

Re: custom world map

Postby Jytte » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:00 am

Or maybe the old original version was a lot more picky about the files? At any rate, the simple version works. Makes life easier :D

For anyone wanting to make a map, it's easy enough, but it MUST be named: wl_map_yourname_1_1.dds
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Return to “Editing”