screen resolution

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Jytte

screen resolution

Postby Jytte » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Another question I always forget to ask:

I have a widescreen monitor, res. 1920x1080. CotN from GOG, not steam. In CotN settings I can change my setup to that (32bit), but when i try to open anything it crashes without exception. The highest resolution I can use is 1600x900.

Is this 'normal' or am I the only one with that problem?? It runs ok on this res, just wondering.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Keith

Re: screen resolution

Postby Keith » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:00 pm

It has been a problem. Some games that were released before widescreen monitors became common have had problems with higher resolution settings.

I had problem opening CotN myself last week. It never gave me a problem before and the settings I've been using remained unchanged. The game started crashing as soon as I opened it. I had been using a 800x600 resolution in the cotn.ini to run it in a "windowed mode". I tinkered around a bit with settings and resolutions, and even added CotN to the DEP exception menu of Windows just in case Windows changed somehow with updates and started crashing as a result. No luck there. I went back in to the cotn.ini file and changed the display settings 1440 x 900. I restarted the game and it didn't crash. I'm not sure what did the trick, adding and then removing the game from the DEP exception menu of Windows or the simple change of resolution in the ini file. Once the game loaded and changed resolution settings in the display menu of Settings thinking that the cotn.ini may have been corrupted accidentally by my editing it with Notepad.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:07 pm

I had to tinker quite a lot with the resolutions in ini when I first started on this Win10 PC. Finally it ran on 1600x900, window and full both oddly enough.
It has a problem reacting to mouse movements in windowed though, but I'm not sure if some of these problems is because I have a dual monitor setup. I only use windowed if I need to see or test something during the day. For playing or seriously editing only full mode is ok.
Like you said, it's an old game from before any of the fancy stuff we have now was available.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:11 am

I had problems clicking on things at highest resolution settings too. I would have find a 'hot spot' to click on somewhere near the thing I wanted to click on to get it to work if at all. I don't have that problem at the 1440 x 900 setting.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:25 am

I might try that one too. Well, come to think of it, I guess we should be grateful that a 14 year old game even works on Win10. Some programs much younger than that do not work anymore. I had to re-buy a couple of things, which really ticked me. That's why I held on to my old XP for so long.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Return to “General Discussion”