created mines vs placed mines

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Jytte

created mines vs placed mines

Postby Jytte » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:03 pm

If I put a mine on a map, and an overseer and a few laborers with a bakery and such, as soon as the scenario opens they will all start mining happily.

Now, if I CREATE a mine in the same place by trigger, same setup... the overseer will run to the mine and stand around, but not one laborer will move. It's like the mine does not exist for them.

This was supposed to be a ting for my next scenario, and now I'm bummed :(

Anybody have experience with this?
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Re: created mines vs placed mines

Postby Yahya » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:01 pm

There are huge problems when creating objects using triggers. I believe the issue is they are not spawned with a legitimate ID, and the game doesn't know how to handle them properly.

I've never been able to work out how to handle them in that way, so I had to come up with clever ways.

If you want a mine in a specific spot at a specific time, I'd add a trigger that tells the player to do it, or even requires it to progress. You might even be able to set a condition that if that object doesn't exist by a specific time, the scenario is failed.

Jytte

Re: created mines vs placed mines

Postby Jytte » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:01 pm

I was afraid you were gonna say that :(

When I use 'create with trigger' for other things, just to put it there, and maybe remove it again, it's ok. But I guess it won't work for something that has to 'work' with the other units. Damn shame that is.

Sigh. I can't really work my way around this one, as it was supposed to appear only when asked for in a certain way. Ive tried to 'hide' it, but even if I could, it still shows on the minimap, so that's useless. And it was SUCH a good start to the scenario, if only it would've worked. Waaaaaaa.

Btw, I also found that I can create rocks and critters and trees and things like that, but with resources, like papyrus, it just don't want to cooperate. Well I can create them, but not reliably remove them. Bummer.

So many great ideas fizzle out in the mist of limitations.

Just occurred to me... might it work if I place it, then remove it and replace it? Probably another nocando, but It's worth a try.

EDIT: nope, no such luck, can't even get a message on 'mine exists'.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Return to “Editing”