Welcome to Hinterland!Loot, level and build with fast paced RPG combat and strategic base building!
Your goal is to lead a handful of peasants to establish a small haven in the wild backcountry of a fantasy kingdom. Bring a diverse cast of followers to your settlement on the edge of the world and then carefully select members of your village to put down their ploughs, leave their comfortable homes, and take whatever weapon they may have at hand to join you on expeditions of exploration and conquest in the surrounding lands. There you’ll encounter the characters and creatures of myth and folklore, and find much needed resources to expand your village whether it be iron to make weapons or a mystic tome to entice a great mage to join you. Should your forays meet with success, fame, fortune and prosperity await. But you must take care, for even the loss of a lowly farmer can spell disaster when harvest time comes.
Can you build a vibrant settlement, lead your people to prosperity, and tame the wild Hinterland?
- Party-based RPG Action - A variety of characters, weapons, and strategies are at your disposal -- will you lead the charge with a devastating two-handed strike, or stand behind the herder in plate mail with your trusty bow?
- Town Building - Choose which of a huge cast of characters will settle in your town and arm them for defense, or give them tools for production.
- Character Development - Develop lowly farmers in to great warriors and customize your character with a variety of specializations to help adventure or improve life in your village.
- Random fantasy world - Each game of Hinterland takes place in a new location for maximum replay with different resources, items and sets of enemies and challenges from orc war camps, dark elf raiding parties, goblin infested mines, ruined cities filled with undead, and more.
- Customizable Gameplay - From a hardcore game to a world without raiders you make the choice about the type of game you want to play.
Hinterland is a new type of role-playing strategy game from the developers of Children of the Nile™, Caesar IV™, and SimCity Societies™.
- Windows® XP or Vista
- 1.8 GHz processor or higher
- 512 MB RAM Windows XP® (1 GB for Windows® Vista)
- 64 MB DirectX 8.1 compatible card
- 350 MB free hard drive space
Reviews"Hinterland offers an inexpensive, charming strategy/RPG experience that is highly addictive..." -GameShark
"...it's a great game for a laptop and it certainly delivers on its promise of offering fun city-building and action/RPG thrills for a low, low price." -GameSpy
"For $20 USD, it's a lot of game for your dollar." -IGN
"It's a career of roleplaying thrills compressed into a tight lozenge." -Penny Arcade
"...an accessible, addictive, and deceptively deep experience with tremendous replay value. And in a sea of epic blockbusters, the overwhelmed gamer can find respite in the bite-sized play sessions that Hinterland has to offer." -GamersHell
"Big, big recommendation" -Bill Harris
"...fresh and appealing..." -CrispyGamer
"Gamers on a budget will not be disappointed putting their $19.99 towards this one." -HookedGamers
"For the pittance of $20, fans of the genre(s) have little excuse not to grab Hinterland. This belongs on every strategist's hard drive, right next to Blizzard's megahits." -JustPressPlay
"Hinterland was one of the year's best obsessions." -Offworld
NewsJuly 30th, 2012
Hinterland is now available on iPlay. Download the game now and start playing right away!
February 19th, 2012
New Hinterland artwork has been added to the site.
March 15th, 2012
Hinterland now has a Facebook page!.
October 12th, 2011
The full Hinterland manual is now available on line.
January 21th, 2011
Hinterland is now available for download on Amazon! (U.S. customers only)
September 16th, 2010
New Hinterland gameplay screenshotshave been released.
June 10th, 2009
Hinterland: Orc Lords, an expanded version of the innovative 2008 fantasy PC title featuring fast paced RPG combat and strategic town-building, has been released! The game is available now for download, and in retail stores across North America for $19.99.
Players who already own the original version of Hinterland can get the enhanced Orc Lords version for free!
December 23rd, 2008
Offworld named Hinterland as one of the top 20 Best Indie and Overlooked games of 2008.
December 18th, 2008
Gamasutra gave Hinterland an honorable mention in their list of 2008's top PC games!
November 17th, 2008
Hinterland is now available for purchase through Greenhouse!
[ Archive ]